rickfanion
Copper

Re: Dell Alienware 15R2/17R3 BIOS 1.4.4 fail

Service Tag:

<Service tag removed>

Express Service Code:

<Express service code removed>

i ma having hte same issue wont shut down or anything lights stay oin have to manually shut down the camp takes forever to boot up after the bios update

0 Kudos
Doug218
Bronze

I got the exact same issue, my Alienware 15 R2 would not restart / power down / resume from closing the lid; and TPM shows a driver issue in Win10.

Really never thought I have to search online before an official update from the manufacturer, and interesting that an problem update discovered back in Jan / Feb is still being suggested to be applied in May.

Greatly hope Dell is actually still working on a solution and not given up.

genie360
Copper

I'm having the same issue. Has anyone found a solution? This is very frustrating. I've exclusively used Dell/Alienware products for years but this might be the last shove I need to switch brands. This has been a problem for 3 months now with no solutions. Any help appreciated.

shekins
Copper

I'm having the exact same issue for months now. Only thing that seems to safely cut off the power is hibernating it (15 R2). Really hope dell is working on a solution since starting times (~6 mins) are getting seriously getting annoying. Trusted platform module 2.0 cannot start (code 10, in device manager). And the Intel(R) Management Engine Components Installer on this page: http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln308237/dell-client-statement-on-intel-me-txe-advisor... , lists an unsupported installer for the AW 15 R2.

HouseofCat
Bronze

Bump to remind Dell this hasn't been fixed.

0 Kudos
polar351
Bronze

Have same problem at my Latitude e5570! And dell mark like **bleep**, and then delete my question about it!

0 Kudos
Doug218
Bronze

Words is that they're working on a solution with no release timeline.

But honestly, I'm just worry that they will not spend much time in fixing these "old" products. Or maybe worse, is that maybe they've done something that's not recoverable.

Although Intel classify issue as feature rather than bug / design fault, I just never thought patching a risky "feature" on a computer would leave it half broken. I had better experience with those root firmware on phone / routers, etc.

0 Kudos
polar351
Bronze

It would not even be a big problem if you could recover yourself through a bios-recovery, but that's not the case, I tried all the standard methods of restoring that initial state, but nothing helped. We will wait for what they will say about it.

0 Kudos
Kev-Lar
Copper

Hi 

I am having these same problems since my update.

I just hung up the phone with Dell to try and determine the fix for this issue. I spoke with Munna at Dell_NAOOW_SRO_GGN@dell.com. I was told that because my laptop was no longer under warranty that he couldn't help me. Is this true? It doesn't seem fair at all when the only reason I am having issues is because I did an update. Then i find out apparently the Bios update 1.4.4 has been pulled from Dell and cant be downloaded. 

Would you be able to help me with this? 

Thanks

Kevin

401-225-2810

0 Kudos
razorwir3
Bronze

Hi Kevin,

I'm sorry you're having issues with this as so many other people seem to as well. I have an Alienware 17 R3, and I specifically remember when the BIOS version 1.4.4 initially came out. I downloaded it the day it was released, and the first version of it took three attempts before it flashed properly. The first attempt flashed half way through and then black screened, and my heart stopped, and I thought my laptop was bricked.

After managing to get the laptop to boot again, I attempted the flashing again, and this time it returned a failure during the flash process.

The third attempt went through successfully. I thought that this was extremely odd considering that every earlier version of the BIOS releases never had any issues during flashing. What I also noticed was that there seemed to be a newer version of the 1.4.4 BIOS released on the driver downloads page about a month or so later, which if that is actually the case, breaks almost every single testing process for software release ever written. It's almost like they knew the first release had issues, so they just deployed a "fixed" version right over the top of the first one, and wiped their hands of it and hoped nobody noticed.

Expressing caution, I never downloaded the seemingly newer second iteration of the 1.4.4 file. I can't confirm if this actually is the case, and if there are two separate 1.4.4 files floating around, but maybe others can confirm what the release date of their BIOS files are. The digital signature certificate signing time of my file is as follows:

---

Name: Dell

Email: Not available

Signing time: Tuesday, ‎16 ‎January ‎2018 5:47:01 PM

---

Can anyone else confirm if they have a 1.4.4 file that has a later/different date for the signing time in the file's Digital Signature -> Properties ? I would be extremely interested (and highly irritated and very concerned) if it turns out there is more than one version of this update floating around.

Anyway, to my point.. my laptop is running fine after the update. I'm not having any of the issues that those of you describe. What I am very concerned about however, is that for some reason, Dell have removed the 1.4.4 BIOS update from the Alienware 17 R3's downloads and drivers section, and replaced it with an older version BIOS which is 1.3.12. They have also removed any reference, mention, release notes, or any other acknowledgement of the existence of the 1.4.4 BIOS update that existed on this page earlier.

If they want to try and hide the fact that it existed, they would have a tough time explaining why I'm staring at the signed certificate for the 1.4.4 file (signed by Dell) right in front my eyes. I keep a copy of *everything*, especially copies of BIOS updates, as this is the most vital and critical update you will ever apply to a system.

What is nothing short of disgusting by Dell, is that they just simply removed the 1.4.4 file download, and replaced it with the older 1.3.12, and are now pretending like they never released it. If 1.4.4 is/was broken, then the *only* way they should have proceeded was to release a newer version beyond 1.4.4, and stating in the change log that the new BIOS was specifically to fix issues with 1.4.4.

What they have done breaks every single process in every IT management framework and software development cycles, and most importantly, quality control and consumer information. This kind of dubious activity I wouldn't even expect from a lone coder writing software for their parents. Even the sloppiest of coders wouldn't live with themselves with version control like this.

As far as telling you that they won't help you because your machine is out of warranty, well this issue is related to a faulty BIOS issued by a multinational billion dollar corporation, that is now trying to literally hide the fact that they ever released it in the first place, and replacing it with an earlier version that cannot be flashed on a system that has already been upgraded to 1.4.4 due to being protected.

If they won't assist you, then my first response would be to expect a call from my solicitor informing them of an upcoming class action with all the affected users from this obvious case of what can only be described as a massive stuff-up on Dell's part.

And Dell, if you want to sue me for libel or whatever you want to come up with in an attempt to intimidate me for stating that what you've done is bordering on criminal yourself with the release, then possible second release, then re-release of the most vital update a system can have, take your best shot.

Alienware, and Dell, used to be highly regarded and are priced as such because of the name and the quality that is expected to come along with it from what used to be provided. As of now, after witnessing what has transpired with this process for a product that I own, and is also out of warranty, that high regard is now in the toilet with other **bleep** matter. The quality, as far as the software and driver release, is also not worthy of being called "quality", and the support, consumer information, and the Dell name are now floating alongside.

Here's some advice, Dell, when you stuff up.. promptly admit it.. and keep your customers updated. Be honest, and don't try and cover up your mistake. All you've done is smear your reputation and drag your name through the mud and as your marketing department will likely be aware.. every bad experience 1 customer experiences.. is passed on to an average of 7 other customers. In cases such as mine, you can multiply that by a factor of an extremely large number, considering the social circles I personally communicate with.

"If you find yourself up $hit creek without a paddle then you best start getting your hands dirty." - Me.