Daipop
Copper

Re: Dell Alienware 15R2/17R3 BIOS 1.4.4 fail

I was asking myself the same thing, Why is the latest version 1.4.4 not listed in the official support section? The thing is, we are stuck with the same faulty piece of **bleep** BIOS and unable "update" it. Beyond the annoyances of having to hard turn off the system, now I have serious consequences by doing so, my Windows 10 broke down some months ago because of a hard reset, fine, I restored it and said to myself wathever, but yesterday it happened again after another hard reset, and the thing is that this time it was not only Windows 10 but a whole 1TB SSD Drive that went with it with all the files from my job. I am in the process of trying to recover such files and really **bleep** with your support. It wasn't easier to resend same 1.3.12 firmware with a new 1.4.5 stamp or sort of thing instead of leavin us hanging with your shady practices of trying to hide the problem?

0 Kudos
ThomasAAT
Silver

razorwir3
Bronze

Hi Thomas,

Yes, apparently there is, according to Dell. Unfortunately though I have been watching that very webpage for over a month now and it still remains in the same state for my system:

Alienware 17 R3

In Process

Things that are missing, that an organisation as big as Dell and customers who are reliant on this "apparently" in production BIOS for the past few months now;

1. As mentioned in my previous post, acknowledgement that their previous attempt at patching any security flaws (if 1.4.4 indeed had anything to do with this specific security vulnerability) is missing completely and has been erased from history as if *poof* it never existed.. except for the fact that there are many of us that have the proof by way of the file itself.. 1.4.4 BIOS.. signed by Dell.

2. An ETA as to when this "new" BIOS will be available. "In Process" for over a month is totally unacceptable as information for a customer base as big as Alienware users. At least give us a **bleep** month that it's likely to be released! We aren't asking for a date and specific time as to it's release, we just want to know at least what MONTH it's likely going to be finished.

3. In the interim, while they are working on this new fix-all BIOS, how about releasing an interim "patched" BIOS for the many customers who are stuck with the obviously badly released 1.4.4 that has been deleted from all Dell's customer pages in what seems to be their hope that people will just bend over, and take it, without yelling loud enough.

4. We are not stupid. We realise that these vulnerabilities rely on collaboration from other vendors such as Intel, nVidia, etc. If there are hold ups with these vendors, THEN LET US KNOW! KEEP. US. UPDATED!

Dell. I have no doubt that you have someone, somewhere, in some dark, dank office in a basement somewhere assessing the potential fall-out and/or impact that our comments might have on your brand. I urge whoever you are to take this post very seriously, as the way that you have handled this situation for Alienware customers is a pending Tech news piece that I assure you will have a large enough negative impact that you will feel it where it hurts. In your customer satisfaction, negatively focused multi-news outlet news articles that may not make your CEO notice the tiny drop in share price.. but at some level of management, someone(s) are going to lose their jobs for the loss of shareholder sentiment in your inability to follow basic business processes, screwing your loyal customer base, and if you will pardon my ego for just a minute.. screwing with someone like me.

"If you find yourself up $hit creek without a paddle then you best start getting your hands dirty." - Me.
0 Kudos
quazzi
Bronze

Ive had all sorts of issues relating to windows 7 updates on my machine. 

My pc was ecperiencing error 43 on my second video card in sli. 680m sli m18xr2. Windows shuts down my card. I  couldnt install drivers for my video cards. Says my systems unrecognized. I finally took heed of the critical bios update. I still had shutdown issues and 5 minute boots with a ssd installed.

The bios update fixed error 43 right away. But now my pc drivers crash after windows splash screen. Pc boots on integrated graphics(plugged in and not). Pc boots on dedicated graphics only on battery power and 50 percent of the time. Pc will never load windows when plugged in on dedicated gpus. It was infact windows updates prompting the dell bios releases.

Alienhead does not light up when plugged in and off like it should. Bios recognizes every device. I just get driver crashes. Ive done clean installs safe mode. Ive fallen back on the bios everything. This needs to be addressed now. That 3500 USD in the hole. 

0 Kudos
ThomasAAT
Silver

razorwir3: The first week there was a date for the BIOS release. The date was 8/18/2018. Why they removed the date I dont know. 

razorwir3
Bronze

Hey ThomasAAT:

Thanks for letting me know that. What concerns me now is that the only reason they would take the date down without replacing it with an updated ETA can only mean that not only are they not able to meet the date you saw, but now they obviously have no idea when it's going to be available. So I think at this stage we can probably kiss all of August, and given it was late August, probably all of September as well for a new BIOS release.

This is a sad state of affairs.

"If you find yourself up $hit creek without a paddle then you best start getting your hands dirty." - Me.
0 Kudos
quazzi
Bronze

Try pulling the cmos battery and reinserting it. This gets my pc to boot up windows 1 time and 1 time only on dedicated cards. Then i gotta repeat

I have a m18xr2 so i can disable my nvidia cards and boot fine on intel 4000 integrated chip. For you guys. Well that just is unfortunate.

Tbh i think its windows fault for the issues we are seeing. I get direct x 9 crashes and instant black screens on windows. The 2018 bios update for my m18x (first bios release in 5 years) actually fixed a bug where windows would disable my 2nd card in sli and i couldnt install drivers

I want to find a fix but only option may be a clean install of windows or reverting windowd back a couple of months

0 Kudos
ThomasAAT
Silver

Hi razorwir3

That was my thoughts also. I hope that si not the case and they simply removed it as a part of the prosess/progress. Only time will show and or/if Dell gives a statement on this BIOS issue. 

I guess this saying comes in play: "Those waiting for something good do not wait in vain ..."

0 Kudos
ilicitano
Bronze

New bios version live (v1.6.1) https://downloads.dell.com/…/1/Alienware_15R2_17R3_1.6.1.EXE

Any wanna try?

0 Kudos
Extincteur
Copper

I tried it and for me nothing is fixed!

Firstly when you have the probleme of shutdown due to the 1.4.4 you canno't run the update from windows, i had to run it throught the bios, then all the probleme of 1.4.4 are back! I had to rollback to 1.3.2 . Maybe it would work if you could install it from windows?

0 Kudos