genie360
Copper

Re: Dell Alienware 15R2/17R3 BIOS 1.4.4 fail

I'll give it a shot tonight and report back. 

0 Kudos
Darren889
Bronze

Same here, tried the new bios and it will not load, runs the exe but just goes to black screen like normal. how do you do a manual bios update?

0 Kudos
ThomasAAT
Silver

I flashed the new BIOS and all seems good. But my only concern/question is that when I first ran the bios exe file it said that I should run the bios exe file again after the reboot. Apparently to confirm that it flashed to 1.6.1. So I did and it asked if I would overwrite 1.6.1 with 1.6.1. So I canceled the bios flash since the flash from 1.4.4 to 1.6.1 was successful. Any other who flashed got this message upon first running the new bios exe file?

0 Kudos
quazzi
Bronze

Same boat here on my m18xr2 all sorts of bios problems/command center.

Mouse doesnt work.

Slow boot.

Doesnt shut down.

Error 43 on my 2nd video card in sli randomly.

Lights randomly dont work 

Alienhead light doesnt come on when charging.

Drivers have issues installing

Wifi stops working when asleep.

Closing lid sometimes doesnt wake it up or put it to sleep. Like wowsas dell

0 Kudos
vanp
Copper

Hi @ThomasAAT, how did you successfully flashed the new bios? Did you use a bootable USB? Are all issues with V1.4.4 been resolved with the V1.6.1? Thanks for your feedback.

0 Kudos
ThomasAAT
Silver

Hi @vanp

I just downloaded the exe bios file from here, copied to the desktop. Closed all other programs and unplugged external devices so just the AC adapter was plugged in. Then follows these steps: 

1. Double-click the new file and followed the setup prosess.
2. Windows System will auto restart and update BIOS while system startup screen.
3. After BIOS update finished, system will auto reboot to take effect.

I did not have any issues with 1.4.4 so 1.6.1 works flawlessly so far for me. But I know other who had problems with 1.4.4 still have problems with 1.6.1. Hope this helps.

vanp
Copper

Thank you @ThomasAAT, I am unable to update from windows so I flashed the bios using a bootable USB. BIOS update was successful BUT the issues from V1.4.4 still persist. sigh

0 Kudos
ThomasAAT
Silver

@vanp Sorry to hear that the issues still remains. The problem seems to go deeper than just a bios update. I really hope dell will address these issues that 1.4.4 brought with it. The thing I find interesting is that some have no problems at all with 1.4.4, but others have serious issues.  This make it harder to short out the possible reason and a solution.  

razorwir3
Bronze

Hi ThomasATT,

I had the same experience. As I had no observable trouble after flashing my Alienware 17 R3 with 1.4.4 unlike many others who unfortunately seem to be experiencing an overwhelming number of issues with it, I patched 1.6.1 and it worked first attempt.

I have not experienced any issues since flashing to 1.6.1, and I have to assume that as per the Driver download page, the fix for the microcode vulnerabilities should now be applied. I haven't as yet done any great degree of research in to how to test this, but I will get to this as soon as I can.

Hopefully it is actually possible to confirm that these fixes are applied and functional. I'll have to do some reading and if I find an easy way to test and confirm that the vulnerabilities have been patched I'll post the details here.

"If you find yourself up $hit creek without a paddle then you best start getting your hands dirty." - Me.
0 Kudos
J_R_W
Copper

I believe that flashing to BIOS version 1.44 did not update the Intel Management Engine correctly on my Alienware 15 R2 laptop and has left me with a laptop with the following problems:  a) Won't shut down without pressing the power button for a long time; b) AlienFX not working correctly; c) periodically the system will take a long time to boot and then the Trusted Platform Module 2.0 will show up with a This device cannot start. (Code 10) error in Device Manager as the BIOS option to enable it gets automatically changed.

I am fairly certain that the Intel Management Engine is broken as I have the following symptoms:
1) The MEInfo tool gives me the error message: ""Error 86: Communication error between application and Intel(R) ME module (FWU client)" and "Error 81: Internal error (Could not determine FW features information)" whenever it is run as an administrator from a Command Prompt.
2) Everytime I try to install the Intel MEI drivers for my Alienware 15 R2 laptop I get the error: "The setup program ended prematurely because of the following error: The platform is not supported."
3) When I run the intel sa-00086 detection tool it reports that the Intel Management Engine version is unknown.
4) Intel Management Engine has disappeared from Device Manager-System Devices

I was hoping that the new bios version 1.61 would fix the problem but it can't be flashed in windows as the system just hangs at a black screen on the system restart even though I have run CCleaner to remove my temp files, disabled Norton antivirus and firewall, and exited every program that I could that runs at system startup.  I did flash to BIOS version 1.61 from a fat32 formatted usb drive but it didn't flash the new Intel ME firmware and my laptop still has all of the problems listed above. 

I hope that Dell/Alienware is working on a fix to all of the problems caused on many laptops by flashing to the version 1.44 BIOS.

0 Kudos