3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 5th, 2018 10:00

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 7th, 2018 23:00

I actually read the whole thing  :Surprise: (quickly). 

Yes, some old versions of SupportAssist caused problems (why I don't use it). I'm pretty sure it got fixed. Remember that this software runs at a very deep level. We could chat more about it technically, but that's not the point here.

Yes, Killer Networking (or Rivet, or whatever they call themselves these days) drivers have been trouble since 2010. If you are in the business, you should know that. I used to really hate Killer stuff. However, I have had good luck with Qualcomm-Atheros (usually their preferred chipset) in various machines lately. The killer gigabit-ethernet in my Aurora-R6 seems to work ok, but I did have a serious driver issue once already.

Sounds like things were going pretty good (or as expected) until your dropped it and it got damaged. These machines are too delicate to be dropped. It's like wrecking your $40,000 car. It will get fixed, but it might never be quite the same as new again.

Obviously, we may never know if they missed a boarder-line part, or if the replacement parts were bad or went bad. Maybe it got dropped again?

Also, replacing the case on a laptop (on certain models) is a lot of work. Try it sometime. It's not really something you want done in a hurry on your kitchen table. 

I think that Dell only has to fulfill their obligation as per the contract. I'm pretty sure this includes using refurbished parts. If I were you, I would take the offer for a different (refurbished) but working machine. Yours would be old and used by now anyway.

61 Posts

March 9th, 2018 18:00

All,

Just to finish this w/ a follow-up:

- Received my Alienware 17 R3 back on 3/6/18. To recap, I was w/o a working laptop since 2/7/18....

- No emails from any of the Alienware customer service agents stating that it was fixed and being shipping back out to me. (They informed me that they would do this in an effort to keep me properly up-to-date)

- The Dell Repair Status online website tool STILL shows that they never received my package. At this point, its as laughable as it is just down right disappointing  *smh*

- YES, everything APPEARS to be working as intended - time will tell, but after waiting for just shy of a month to get it back fully repaired, the bitterness of this entire experience has certainly left its mark.

Tesla,

I fully understand that Dell is only held to contractually fixing my laptop, as laid out in the terms and conditions of the extended warranty agreement and level of service you opt to select for system/hardware/software repair situations, and yes, they upheld their obligation to see to it that my system was fully repaired, system restored, and my Alienware 17 R3 given back to me in working order. All that said, its besides the point I'm making here, which is 29 days to fix a laptop is an unacceptable time frame w/o extenuating circumstances. Additionally, Dell's complete lack of transparency adds insult to injury - no updates, no emails, no phone calls (one exception; see my original post), no Repair Status tool website update even after I reported that issue, etc. The lack of proper communication thorough out this debacle was just additional fuel on the flames, per-say.

I have taken apart laptops, and put them back together - I agree w/ you, not exactly a 1-2hr project by any means. Additionally, I've been building my own custom made PC home gaming rig for the last 15+ years. I'm not ignorant to what goes into fixing hardware/software, and if you read my entire complaint than you are aware that I'm reflecting on past and present experiences that account for over 100+ hrs of my life gone, lost, and that I'm never getting back over a $3000 system that should of spared me from such woes to begin with - w/ a hefty price tag comes hefty expectations. 

I agree w/ you - once you wreck that $40k vehicle, its never going to be the same, but in the realm of high performance gaming laptops, I expect to fully enjoy the value of its worth - not get lost in repair or trouble-shooting **bleep**. It should be noted my system only has suffered that one drop outlined in my OP. But, regardless of my personal expectations, facts are facts - that new car, laptop, suit, watch, etc....is only new once, and once used, that's all it will ever be from that point on.

C'est la vie (that's life!). It is what it is at this point - I've escalated my concerns and will see what becomes of it. In the meantime, happy gaming everyone.

Out Of Steam,
Syric

8 Wizard

• 

17K Posts

March 9th, 2018 20:00

@Syricwrote:

1. Received my Alienware 17 R3 back on 3/6/18 ... YES, everything APPEARS to be working as intended -

2. Tesla,

1. That's good news.

2. On the points your clarified, I understand. I think we agree on things mostly. I'm just glad you got a working laptop again.

If you read my other posts in this section, you will see I've been down a similar road with my X1-Carbon (but without a warranty, I considered my options and took a different path).

1 Message

September 25th, 2018 16:00

Absolutely HORRIBLE CUSTOMER  SERVICE!!! I started a claim 3 weeks after purchase. We fixed one issue after another after another. Reinstalled windows 3 times. Reinstalled drivers and ran benchmarks over and over. Fast forward 8 months not a thing is fixed. I asked for a refund and they said im “out of the 30 day window” IM ONLY OUT OF THE 30 DAY WINDOW BECAUSE THEY KEPT SAYING “try this and get back to us”!! They stalled me out of the return time!! And won’t refund or repair or replace!!! Absolute garbage.

1 Message

December 1st, 2018 13:00

I have had the same experience. Difference, my laptop was not changed, instead change my MB for me and now since I am out of warranty asking for 900+ to change new one!! I am a 13 R2.  Please help?!

4 Posts

January 4th, 2019 16:00

Sorry to hear about this but not surprised. I have my own issues with my Alienware 15 R1 laptop. The biggest issue I have with Dell/Alienware is they purposely make their laptops so that no one but a technician can repair them! Rather than having a simple cover to remove to replace say a battery you have to disassemble the whole darned laptop!

Then you get into trouble because the parts they use to hold the ribbon cables in place are so cheap they snap off with the smallest amount of pressure!

I spent $400 for a new motherboard, that fixed the issue for exactly the length of Dell's warranty on their repairs which is 3 months!

13 Posts

November 8th, 2019 00:00

11/21 = System exchange setup.

I am the unlucky owner of an Alien ware R17 R04 covered will Premium Support for 2 years.

Complete Care            DELL  12/10/2016      12/10/2019      34

This is my second time that the Laptop was in service. The first time that the item was in serviced, because I wasnt careful it came with some defective led on the side (it was my fault as I trusted Alienware to fix everything and I was not using light mode). Because I have discovered later this defective part, I chose to send it back to them for warranty to fix the other small scratches that developed in time). During this offal period because I had to call them I was charged about 25 Euros because the help line is not free (and on the site it was not specified). In my second attempt to send it, I was forwarded to different countries as the number for one country is not applied, and usually I had to wait for Hours to get to the right people. (I am calling from Austria, then being transferred to International, UK, Germany and other unknown countries). Because I got premium Coverage, Alienware sent me a Package to ship the item back to them, but unfortunately the delivery was delayed because of shipment logistic problems (UPS was not able to deliver it, because the delivery car was near 100 m from my place and mine was not so important). After some complains to Customer care, they provided me with a return label, but after I drove to a pick up location with my box containing the Alienware Laptop the shop laughed at me because the sending number was not good. After another several attempts to call Premium Support the packaged arrived the second day. I have shipped it during the same day, when it was finally deliver to the dell.after market repair when I was informed: “The repair of your device is not covered by warranty – you will be contacted by our agent or you can contact Dell Support”. Also, I was covered by full warranty. I have tried several times to contact them via Chat and 1-2h over phone, I only got verbal confirmation that there is a problem with the website and they will fix it asap. After about 1 week the deadline was passed and there is no updates to the repair or the delivery estimation date.

Complete Care DELL      12/10/2016         12/10/2019         34

Premium Support             DELL      12/10/2016         12/10/2019         34

Updated Time

29/10/2019 11:11 AM

Next Status Update

Unit Shipped

Created

16/10/2019 03:26 PM

Estimated Return

04/11/2019

Delay - Warranty Information Required

The repair of your device is not covered by warranty – you will be contacted by our agent or you can contact Dell Support

Call Inbound

Monday, November 4, 2019 5:08:31 AM (GMT)

Online User

Customer initiated phone contact.

Call Inbound

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 6:06:45 AM (GMT)

Online User

Call Inbound

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 7:35:44 AM (GMT)

Online User

Call Inbound

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:57:42 AM (GMT)

Online User

E-mail Outbound

Tuesday, October 22, 2019 2:53:37 AM (GMT)

Online User

Agent initiated email response.

Chat

Monday, October 21, 2019 1:30:13 PM (GMT)

Online User

Customer initiated chat session.

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 8:27:26 AM (GMT)

Online User

Break Fix

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 5:43:42 AM (GMT)

Online User

A parts and/or labor dispatch has been initiated for this support request.

Break Fix

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:21:20 AM (GMT)

Online User

A parts and/or labor dispatch has been initiated for this support request.

Call Inbound

Wednesday, October 16, 2019 3:04:59 AM (GMT)

Online User

I am afraid that they will keep my notebook until the warranty is expired and then lie to me once again. What can I do to recover my Laptop as I only got phone confirmation that they will personally take care and fox the webpage, but no written answers or updates with my delivery date? Did somebody else got the same service quality as me? is this normal?

14 Posts

November 8th, 2019 06:00

I know....

....welcome to technical service

and their  answer:

it is not in your warranty

extend your warranty

and after you extended that............

it is not in your warranty

extend your warranty

and after that....

it is not covering international

so no warranty

extend that to international as well

you do that

answer:

in your country that is not possible

... not available

... not that service

... not ... everything

BUT

pay for extra warranty

fantastic technical service

13 Posts

November 8th, 2019 09:00

Hello,

It seems that Alienware is going down the hill, I also have some problems with my Laptop, but they are to overwelmed to repair tham that after 2 weeks (premiun support) they they told me to wait.

clipboard_image_0.png

Then after several phone conversation (paid extra by me )

clipboard_image_0.png

The same day later I've got another reply  :))

clipboard_image_2.png

The logic:

1. Buy Alienware

2. Buy extra Premium Warranty

3. Use the Next day support covered by warranty

clipboard_image_3.png

4. In repair the status is Repair not covered by Warranty.

clipboard_image_4.png

5. Next time find another replacement.

6. Customer lost... I hope this goes well for dell, because the customers will not chose this kind f services.

2 Posts

December 11th, 2019 18:00

I have had a similar experience to several others here. I bought an Alienware m17 back in early April, 2019 (so 8 months prior to making this post). In October, 2019 (6 months after purchase), it spontaneously failed to boot. I submitted a claim to Alienware on October 6. They were actually pretty quick about sending me a box to overnight my machine to their repair facility. They never told me what was wrong with my machine, but presumably it was the motherboard. Almost a month went by, and when they contacted me on November 1, I was told that the replacement part they needed was unavailable, and they asked if I'd accept a system exchange. I agreed, and they sent me a new machine. This machine booted, but when I upgraded the BIOS to the latest version, I would get a fan error on boot, and while I could get into Windows 10, the GPU fan would constantly blow at maximum speed. I submitted another claim, and Alienware went through hours of useless troubleshooting steps with me over the course of several days before sending a tech to replace the fan in my laptop.

That was on November 20, i.e. a month and a half into this. The replacement fan did not work, and so they ordered a new motherboard to be replaced by a tech. I asked them to do another warranty exchange, but I was told that refurbished units aren't eligible for a warranty exchange. So I had to keep waiting with no upper limit on how long this process might take. On December 4 I was told that because the motherboard was on backorder for so long, they would in fact do a warranty exchange, but that I had to wait for a "like-for-like" system to be found in their stock of refurbished machines. It is now December 11 and I am still waiting, but I was told today that since no refurbished machine is available they will send me a new machine. Mind you, this is two months and five days into the process and I do not possess a fully functioning machine. My warranty expires in April and I fully expect to not have a working machine on that date, so I'm not sure what will be the outcome here. A few thoughts:

- I paid $2,200 for the Alienware m17 laptop, and instead got a lemon. Obviously I will never purchase a Dell product again.

- I'm not sure how it's possible that Dell can't replace a component that they themselves manufacture.

- I'm also not sure how Dell can have so much trouble locating a refurbished machine when they are still selling this laptop in stores.

- Keep in mind that several of us have waited months without working machines. This defeats the purpose of purchasing a brand new gaming laptop only to have it non-functional while newer machines become available.

- I'm certain that Dell uses such language in its warranties that it is legally protected. However I feel that I have been defrauded by them. Again, I would never engage in a new financial transaction with this company.

I'm sure this thread is populated with former Dell customers. Can anyone recommend a competitor which offers a similar product but with better warranty support?

No Events found!