Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 23rd, 2020 18:00

Does Alienware Graphics Amplifier Support Geforce GTX 1660 Graphics Card?

I've just ordered AGA and was looking to buy Geforce GTX 1660 graphics card.

But on the AGA supported cards page (https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-au/sln300946/alienware-graphics-amplifier-supported-graphics-card-list?lang=en), there's no mention of GTX 1660.

Can somebody please confirm if NVIDIA Geforce GTX 1660 is supported on AGA?

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 23rd, 2020 19:00

It works for me, I have the AGA and I put a 1660Ti in it. It works great for me.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@SchrodingersRabbits  Well you already have real world confirmation from someone else in this thread who's running the setup you're planning, and I'll take real world confirmation over documentation or answers from any tech/sales support rep at any company, since all of those sources have been known to be wrong from time to time, but it's hard to argue with real world results.  And while I can understand the reassurance of official confirmation, like I said you're dealing with something that's designed to operate with anything that falls within certain standards, so wanting confirmation about each specific GPU someone might want to run would be somewhat like wanting official confirmation that a given system is compatible with each specific hard drive model or USB peripheral out there that someone might want to use with said system, and that level of confirmation isn't provided.  Systems are just said to have SATA/NVMe slots and USB 2.0, 3.0, or Type-C ports, and that's supposed to indicate whether a given device can be expected to work.  Of course there's still the potential for strange interoperability problems that occasionally crop up even though they shouldn't exist, but ironically those are the ones that tend to get MISSED in documentation and only discovered by real world testing.  But like I said, you already got confirmation in this very thread that someone is running a 1660 Ti in an AGA without any issues, so there's no reason to suspect that a 1660 non-Ti would be an issue.

But hey, you can always order your 1660 from a retailer that offers easy returns.  It's not like a GPU would be a huge ordeal to ship back.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

I mean to be honest what your saying is pretty accurate.

”The Graphics Amplifier is a Alienware propriety technology that taps directly into the CPUs PCIe lanes directly unlike Razers external GPU holder that has to go through the SATA and LAN connections going to the Southbridge or NorthBridge before it gets to the CPU.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@Alienware Area-51 ALX 2006  Not sure where you found that quote, but yes the AGA is essentially just a PCIe x16 slot outside of the system that just happens to have a proprietary cable to connect it to the system.  But from a functional perspective, it would be just like having a PCIe x16 slot on a desktop PC.  I'm not sure why whatever quote you found talks about SATA and LAN channels when discussing eGPU enclosures, but typical eGPU enclosures use Thunderbolt 3 since that's an industry standard, but TB3 only offers either PCIe x2 or PCIe x4.  That doesn't create much of a real world bottleneck, but the AGA nonetheless runs a full PCIe x16 interface.

@jphughan Thanks for the reply. That makes sense, but it would be great if @DELL-Chris M can confirm it.

That would help other people who look for similar question.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

@SchrodingersRabbits  The GeForce 16 Series was released after the GeForce 20 Series, so the documentation probably just hasn't been updated, possibly because Dell hasn't gone back and officially tested it yet.  But the AGA supports GPUs that are physically much larger and have much higher power requirements than the 1660 (such as the 2080 Ti), so I can't imagine you having a problem here.  The AGA is essentially just a PCIe slot with a big power supply to run a GPU.  It doesn't require specific firmware to work with each individual card.

July 23rd, 2020 20:00

@Alienware Area-51 ALX 2006  Just wondering if your 1660 Ti is Founders Edition or other brand.

@Alienware Area-51 ALX 2006  Thanks for confirming!

@jphughan Well said mate. I missed the post which said 1660 Ti is working. Thanks

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

I have the founders edition but I have the 1660Ti ZOTAC model as well as the EVGA model inside my X51 R2.

July 23rd, 2020 22:00

@Alienware Area-51 ALX 2006  Cool! Does the Zotac 1660 Ti fits into AGA or you have to keep the lid open?

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 24th, 2020 09:00

It fits well in mines!

July 28th, 2020 17:00

For anyone wondering about Geforce GTX 1660 Super compatibility with AGA,

I bought "Asus GeForce GTX 1660 Super Phoenix OC 6GB" . It WORKS great without any issues with AGA.

I am so happy that my old-ish Alienware-13-r2 is now a gaming rig!

The other good thing is the graphics card fits perfectly into AGA enclosure and I can completely close-off the lid. 

cc: @jphughan @Alienware Area-51 ALX 2006 

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 28th, 2020 18:00

Great job!

No Events found!