Highlighted
lanksta88
1 Nickel

Graphics Amplifier Troubles

Hi all, 

I have an Alienware 15R2 running Windows 10. I just received my graphics amplifier and installed it yesterday with a EVGA GTX 970 card. I can do most things normally while running the laptop with the amp, EXCEPT gaming. Every time I fire up a game, I am just able to make it to the main menu, but I can never start a new game or load a saved game......my games will just freeze....my audio also gets **bleep** up if there is background music. So I have to end-task the application (this only works part of the time), but the story doesn't end there. If I am able to exit out of the game and get back to my desktop, the operating system becomes all laggy and almost unusable, at which point I have to do a restart. Sometimes the restart doesn't work and I have to do a hard reset. 

I have tried the following remedies after reading around on the internet:

-Cleaned out my nvidia drivers with DDU and reinstalled them (by the way I only downloaded the mobile drivers as I read you shouldn't install any desktop drivers).

-I updated my intel graphics drivers. 

-Updated bios to the latest version (feb 2018).

-Updated other drivers that were out-of-date.

-Disabled intel drivers while running the amp.

None of these seem to work. The graphics card works in my buddy's computer and the amp is brand new, so I don't think its a hardware issue. I have read that the newest bios releases are causing problems with the amp, so should I revert to an older bios? Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.

0 Kudos
4 Replies

Re: Graphics Amplifier Troubles

Hi, 

Send me your Service Tag in a PM, so we can look further into this and get back to you. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Rodrigo
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
lanksta88
1 Nickel

Hi AW-Rodrigo, I don't see any option to send you a PM when I click your username....am I missing something? 

0 Kudos
lanksta88
1 Nickel

Hi Rodrigo I have an update on the situation. 

I went over to Best Buy and brought home a brand new graphics card, a GTX 1050 Ti....to do some troubleshooting. After swapping it out with the 970, I noticed that it was not being detected in my device manager even though I had the nVidia notebook driver installed. Instead I see the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" being detected. So with the amplifier plugged in I reinstalled the 391.35 notebook driver from nVidia....this did the trick or so I thought. Device manager recognized the 1050 Ti and I was able to play some games without any issues. However when I unplugged the GA and started up the laptop, I am now in the situation where it does not recognize my internal GTX 970M. Its just missing from the device manager, all I see are the intel 530 drivers. So I thought to reinstall 391.35 notebook drivers again - this reinstalled my 970M. Yet when I plug in the graphics amplifier the 1050 Ti is again missing and I see the "Microsoft Basic Display Adapter" being recognized!

BASICALLY....if I want to use my internal graphics or the GA I have to keep reinstalling the notebook drivers in either situation. I tried to clean out the nVidia drivers with DDU and fresh install everything but this does nothing either. Please help!

Thanks. 

0 Kudos

Hi, 

Thank you for confirming this. To send a PM, go to your inbox, then click new message and look for my username on the send to box. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Rodrigo
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos