Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

2 Posts

May 30th, 2020 23:00

17 R4, HDD BIOS Password on dead laptop

Hi,

I have an Alienware 17 R4 which died. The information in the HDD was BIOS password protected. I took out the HDD from the laptop, installed it in an external HDD enclosure and connected it via USB to another computer, but I cannot access the information. The other computer never asks for the HDD password (which I have). In the beginning it did not recognize the disk very well. In the Control Panel, under Devices and Printers, the device was listed under Others as a USB connected SCSI device, even though it is not a SCSI disk, but a SATA. Later, the Disks Manager said it is an uninitialized disk, as if it had no assigned partition.

I also tried installing it as an internal disk in another computer, but the BIOS never asked for the password at startup and the computer just displayed a message saying Disk error! (it is not bootable).

I need to recover the information from this disk, which is full to 90% of its 1 TB capacity. It is a HGST 7K1000-1000 SATA HDD. Searching here, I found an old thread at https://www.dell.com/community/Laptops-General-Read-Only/Unlocking-HDD-password-from-dead-DELL-1526/m-p/4447688 which exposes the same problem, just with different laptop model. Disappointingly, it really does not help, but gives me some hope that there may exist a working solution. But that thread seems to be closed to new posts and unfortunately the last question was never answered. Is there any solution that works in Windows 10? It may even be a BIOS based solution, independent of any OS. I can't believe there is not!

Thank you for your help.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

May 31st, 2020 03:00

The password is stored in a user-inaccessible section of the drive.  Yes, it can be removed, but no - you can't do it without the assistance of a data recovery service.  As long as there's nothing else wrong with the drive, a basic recovery fee should run between $100-200 to have the password removed.

Ontrack, Drive Savers, Gillware, etc., can all provide the service (they'll want verification of ownership before they'll unlock the drive).

14 Posts

May 31st, 2020 08:00

I had a similar problem a long time ago and the way I solved it was to set the HDD password in the BIOS (and possibly the System password) on the new machine to the same as the one(s) on the old machine and then install the old HDD.

No Events found!