Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 13th, 2018 09:00

Hard drive missing

Hi,

I recently got a dispatch for my heatsink. Since it was overheating. Ever since the depatch my D drive has been missing. Sometimes it would pop back up but not for long. One time I booted up my laptop and it automatically started a diagnostic test. When it was finished I got a error with a QR-code wich I scanned. It took me to the dell site with a request for sending a new hard drive for me to reinstall. I got the drive and just installed it. But my D drive is still missing. I think it has to do with the cable from hard drive to motherboard that might have been damaged when the first dispatch happend with an engineer from dell. 

Also I can't install windows updates for some reason. Every time I try to install I get an error with, your pc hardware is not supported on this version of windows 10. contact your pc manufacture for more information. 

If anyone could help me that would mean a lot since it's to expansive for me to buy for 1TB space and not being able to acces it.

Type: Alienware 15 R3

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

June 13th, 2018 09:00

The inability of certain Alienware systems to update to Windows 10 1803 has been widely discussed both here and elsewhere on the Internet already.  Basically Microsoft blocked those systems from updating because of a known problem with Win10 1803 that affected certain Alienware systems due to their hardware design.  There's a long thread here about it; you may want to jump to the end and read backwards a bit instead of reading forwards given its length.  But if memory serves, the block has been removed, so if you're still having this issue, the fix is to stop the Windows Update service, delete the contents of C:\SoftwareDistribution (but leave that folder itself!), and then restart the Windows Update service, at which point you should be able to update.  Fair warning though: Win10 1803 still has its share of problems, so unless it has some new feature you really want, you may want to hold off until a few more patches arrive.

As for the drive, if even a replacement hard drive isn't working reliably, then I agree the cable is the next suspect, potentially followed by the motherboard port.  I would contact Dell and ask them for a new cable.  I can't see that being a problem given that this happened immediately after a previous dispatch.

June 13th, 2018 10:00

Okay thanks for your fast reply. I'll call them tomorrow.

No Events found!