Start a Conversation

Unsolved

N

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2018 20:00

17 R4, need help with my keyboard

Hello, I have an Alienware 17R4 laptop(2017 version). Recently I found out that 3 keys on my keyboard are not function. They are: `; F3; F12. I believe the problem is related to window or Alienware command center because when I used a USB to boot with win 10 mini and win 7 mini all 3 keys functioned correctly. So I want to know if anyone has experience the same problem and should I reset my window 10 to fix this. Tks!!

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

October 24th, 2018 13:00

Hi @Nightbringer,

Make sure the BIOS is up to date.

Also, is there a way you can try an external keyboard and let us know if the same happens?

October 24th, 2018 19:00

Thank you. I have already updated my BIOS and OSD driver and none of them work. With the external keyboard, it works well but the keys itself is not broken because when I used USB to boot with Window 10 Mini they work fine. I believe it was some window 10 updates that conflict with Alienware keyboard that causing it. The F3 key function is to mute the sound and it kind of annoying when it is not working. When I used Window 10 Mini to boot the system, it worked fine. When I switched to normal Window 10, it worked too but if I restart the computer then it is again not working. That why I believe the keys are not broken, it is the problem of software. 

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

October 29th, 2018 21:00

Hi, 

Thanks for confirming this. We have not heard of a Windows update causing this type of issue, but if the problem started recently, you could try a system restore to confirm if it fixes the issue. Check this link to view the steps on performing a system restore. 

1 Message

December 9th, 2018 19:00

hey mine also not working

model - alienware 17 r4

f3 -mute button 

f12 -alien fx

pleasee help tq

61 Posts

December 9th, 2018 20:00

You might try re-installing OSD application and OSD kit.

1 Message

January 1st, 2019 07:00

hyee, i also facing  same problem and  already reset 3 times and still not working... 

unfunction keys “~” , “f3-mute” “f12 -alienfx” and “pageUp”

please help 

model alienware 17 r4

1 Message

March 31st, 2020 13:00

Has anyone been able to solve this??? exact same thing happens to me. i cant use the said keys. and when i have certain games open, my tab and N button doesnt work, ill have to spam mash the buttons to get it working again. 

ive update all bios and all that jazz. ive even tried factory resetting my laptop but it wont let me! it says there is a problem resetting your laptop. no changed were made.

1 Message

May 25th, 2020 00:00

Hi, anyone solved this?

Exact same issue here, recovering system or updating drivers doesn't help. External KB works fine

No Events found!