0dysseus
1 Copper

I Added A Hard Drive, Now I Get 8 Beep Error

Hello, I have an Alienware 18.  After adding a second hard drive, the laptop refuses to display, giving me an 8 beep error.  I had touched nothing but the hard drive enclosure.  I've tried the "hold D" method, connected the laptop to a second monitor through HDMI, still nothing.  I opened up the laptop and behind the LCD to check the connections, everything looked fine.  I'm at wit's end.

I bought this laptop in 2014.  My wife nearly died with two strokes after a medication caused major clots, and we got a settlement.  This was my splurge.  I would never be able to afford an Alienware otherwise.  I thought it would be a great thing, like owning a Ferrari.  Right after the warranty expired, the LCD started having issues like pink screen and distortion.  After much effort I was finally able to get a support representative that accepted to put the laptop in for repair at a cost of $500.  It came back and was fine for a month or two, then the exact same problem.  I believe that they simply opened up the laptop and moved things around, making the cable move enough to not distort the image. The cable continued to deteriorate.  It took me a while to figure out how to replace the LCD cable myself and where to purchase one.  All in, I've paid over $4000.

Now this.  I definitely have had more time dealing with this Top-Of-The-Line Alienware failing to work than enjoying it.  I truly regret ever making the decision to buy it, I feel like quite the fool, and I wish there was some to get out of this.  I know that writing this will get me nowhere, but it does feel good get this of my chest, so whoever read this, thank you for allowing me to do so.  I just wish I could it working again and I swear I will never dare to do anything to it again.

0 Kudos
2 Replies

Re: I Added A Hard Drive, Now I Get 8 Beep Error

Hi @0dysseus,

I hope your wife is no longer having any health problems.

This could be related to the VC or the LCD.

- Try a power drain: disconnect every external device from the system (including the AC Adapter), then open the system and disconnect the battery. Finally, hold the power button for around a minute to drain all the power out. 

- Try a clear CMOS, follow these steps:

Disconnect the RTC battery cable.

Disconnect the RTC battery cable.

Peel off the RTC battery and remove the RTC battery.

Peel off the RTC battery and remove the RTC battery.

Complete.

Complete

- Try by resseting the LCD cable. 

- Connect the system to an external monitor to see if it is related to the LCD. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
0dysseus
1 Copper

Re: I Added A Hard Drive, Now I Get 8 Beep Error

Thank you for the reply.  It was a long road but my wife made a nearly complete recovery.  

I've tried the power drain method.  I've tried the CMOS reset.  I've tried connecting an HDMI cable to a external monitor.  I've tried pressing fn+F12 when booting to force to that second monitor.  No matter what I do, I get a black screen on both monitors and 8 steady beeps.  The LCD cable is only a few months old.  I've completely dissembled and reassembled the laptop four times today, and I can't locate any disconnected, frayed or burnt cables.  The laptop was working fine before I installed the hard drive.  If it helps, when I press fn+F12, it stops the beeps, but pressing any button will resume the beep.

Very sad that after all this it's just going to be a $4000 doorstop.

0 Kudos