youknow489
Copper

Installing Windows 7 on G7 15 7558

I want to install Windows 7 on my Dell G7. I made a bootable flash drive *with USB 3 support*. But every time I boot into the Windows installer I get the error "A required CD/DVD Device Driver Is Missing...".

1. What Driver can I be missing?

2. How do I get it?

3. Is there anyway to bypass this?

I tried to partition a hdd in two, and clone the flash drive into one partition. And boot into that partition, so as to avoid using USB 3. That didn't work. I tried to boot from an SD Card, so as to avoid the USB 3, but that didn't work. I even tried cloning a whole hard drive that already has windows 7 installed on it, and booting into that, but it didn't work. What do I do?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mary G
Diamond

Re: Installing Windows 7 on G7 15 7558

You cannot install windows 7 on a windows 10 computer. There are no win 7 drivers for the advanced hardware. Reinstall windows 10.

0 Kudos
jphughan
Diamond

Re: Installing Windows 7 on G7 15 7558

I had that happen when I added both the USB 3.0 drivers and the NVMe hotfixes.  Removing the NVMe hotfixes resolved the issue, and I didn't need them on the affected system; I just figured they'd be good to have "just in case", but apparently not.  But the above answer is correct.  Even if you get Windows 7 to install, you probably won't get all of the drivers you need because Windows 7 versions aren't available.  And even if you fix that, you might not receive any Windows Updates since it will be on unsupported hardware (specifically too new of a CPU).  And even if you fix that, Microsoft will stop providing updates in January 2020 anyway, barely over a year from now.  And if XP's demise is any indication, browser vendors will stop providing updates shortly after that point, at which point it will become arguably unsafe to have that system on the Internet.  And eventually you'll run into functional problems too.  A WinXP SP3 system these days can't even access most websites because it doesn't support newer SSL/TLS protocols and certificate signing mechanisms.

0 Kudos