Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 24th, 2018 15:00

17 R3, Intel ME problems

I fell victim to the 1.4 BIOS bug that broke Intel's ME.  Now that 1.6.1 has been released, I can't install it completely using the installer because the computer just hangs on shutdown thanks to 1.4x.   I can copy it to a thumb drive install the first 2 parts but the NVRAM and ME never get flashed.  

I have found the guides to flash ME to get it repaired but I as well as a few others are having a bigger issue with ME it seems.  It is not showing up in the device manager at all.  I have installed the current drivers from Dell by using some command prompt magic found in another thread.

Here is a copy/paste of a guy having same issue as me.

1) MEInfo gives me the same error message: ""Error 86: Communication error between application and Intel(R) ME module (FWU client)" and "Error 81: Internal error (Could not determine FW features information)".
2) Everytime I try to install the Intel MEI drivers for my Alienware 15 R2 system I get the error: "The setup program ended prematurely because of the following error: The platform is not supported."
3) When I run the intel sa-00086 detection tool it reports that the Intel Management Engine version is unknown.
4) Intel Management Engine has disappeared from Device Manager-System Devices

Obviously, thats in reference to us trying to repair the broken ME.  

23 Posts

November 1st, 2018 20:00

OK so I finally fixed it.  It's not easy.

The first most non invasive step is attempt Hunter's methods near bottom of post:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/updating-intel-me-firmware-on-15-r2-17-r3-or-possibly-other-bgas-as-well.813803/

My firmware was completely corrupt and I wasn't able to even run MEinfo outlined in post above.  I had to physically remove the motherboard from the laptop and clip in and reflash the bios chip which is outlined in this link:

https://www.win-raid.com/t4058f39-Intel-ME-not-responsive-or-showing-in-device-manager.html

November 12th, 2018 08:00

So you have solved it! Good job!

Do you think we can use your corrected bios dump and just flash it with the tool and the clips?

23 Posts

November 12th, 2018 11:00

I think there is computer specific info in the ME firmware that requires the cleaning technique posted above instead of flat out overwriting.  So no I don't think it's advisable.

8 Posts

July 22nd, 2020 08:00

Hello. I have both a 17r3 and 15r2, both having the usb ports(except rear thunderport) broken and power not shutting off or restarting problems with both laptops. Any idea who I can talk to, to have them both fixed or possibly send them to to have fixed?

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

July 22nd, 2020 09:00

If the systems are under warranty and the ports are not physically broken, simply call your  local Dell support number to arrange a repair.

If the system is out of warranty (or the ports are physically broken -- which won't be covered under warranty, as that will be deemed accidental damage), you can either call for a repair estimate or contact the repair shop of your choice for the same.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 22nd, 2020 11:00

You should do that.

8 Posts

July 31st, 2020 06:00

The ports on both laptops are not physically brokenand have no damage. They do not work due to the bios update above 1.4.... The laptop is no longer under warranty. Dell has advised all bios to be "urgent" updated which broke both my alienware laptops.

8 Posts

November 24th, 2022 03:00

I actually have the 17r4 and 15r3.... But you can not downgrade after the intel ME is broken because to flash a bios, the laptop needs to restart. With intel ME being broken, it will not let the pc power off or restart. Been 2 years and both laptops have the same problem

No Events found!