Recon_R
1 Nickel

Intel ME problems

I fell victim to the 1.4 BIOS bug that broke Intel's ME.  Now that 1.6.1 has been released, I can't install it completely using the installer because the computer just hangs on shutdown thanks to 1.4x.   I can copy it to a thumb drive install the first 2 parts but the NVRAM and ME never get flashed.  

I have found the guides to flash ME to get it repaired but I as well as a few others are having a bigger issue with ME it seems.  It is not showing up in the device manager at all.  I have installed the current drivers from Dell by using some command prompt magic found in another thread.

Here is a copy/paste of a guy having same issue as me.

1) MEInfo gives me the same error message: ""Error 86: Communication error between application and Intel(R) ME module (FWU client)" and "Error 81: Internal error (Could not determine FW features information)".
2) Everytime I try to install the Intel MEI drivers for my Alienware 15 R2 system I get the error: "The setup program ended prematurely because of the following error: The platform is not supported."
3) When I run the intel sa-00086 detection tool it reports that the Intel Management Engine version is unknown.
4) Intel Management Engine has disappeared from Device Manager-System Devices

Obviously, thats in reference to us trying to repair the broken ME.  

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Recon_R
1 Nickel

Re: Intel ME problems

OK so I finally fixed it.  It's not easy.

The first most non invasive step is attempt Hunter's methods near bottom of post:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/updating-intel-me-firmware-on-15-r2-17-r3-or-possibly-other-...

My firmware was completely corrupt and I wasn't able to even run MEinfo outlined in post above.  I had to physically remove the motherboard from the laptop and clip in and reflash the bios chip which is outlined in this link:

https://www.win-raid.com/t4058f39-Intel-ME-not-responsive-or-showing-in-device-manager.html

0 Kudos
Extincteur
1 Copper

So you have solved it! Good job!

Do you think we can use your corrected bios dump and just flash it with the tool and the clips?

0 Kudos
Recon_R
1 Nickel

I think there is computer specific info in the ME firmware that requires the cleaning technique posted above instead of flat out overwriting.  So no I don't think it's advisable.

0 Kudos