DarthKahn
Bronze

Intel UHD 630 Driver wont install

So, here I am with my brand new alienware 17 R5, and after opening the dell support app, I had a few updates queued. Everyone of them installed except for the Intel UHD 630 Graphics driver. Everytime I try to install it, it says "failed". Kind of upsetting considering this is a brand new laptop. Is anyone else having this issue still? I saw an older thread but some of the responses in it were ridiculous. I should not have to do anything that crazy with a brand new laptop. 

16 Replies
_OCB
Bronze

Re: Intel UHD 630 Driver wont install

I'm having the same issue on my 15 R4. The Intel UHD 630 driver failed to update automatically. So I tried to install it using the package from the Dell support site. But this didn't work either. When I tried to install, the installer gave this error message:

"The driver being installed is not validated for this computer. Please obtain the appropriate driver from the computer manufacturer."

When this didn't work, I even tried to install the driver manually (using these instructions from Intel). Installation was successful but unfortunately the driver caused my system to lockup completely. This happened 3 times over the course of a few hours. Going back to the old driver fixed the issue. So it seems very likely that the new driver was the cause. I'm really not sure why Dell is even offering this driver if it has these bugs :Confused:

Hopefully someone at Dell sees this so they can fix the problem.

Sorry this wasn't a solution. But my advice is, don't try to upgrade the driver until Dell releases a fixed version.

0 Kudos

Hi @DarthKahn@_OCB,

Please send me a PM with the Service Tag, so I can escalate this. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Amar2020
Copper

ive got the same issue on my brand new Alienware r5 as well.Please advice

0 Kudos
Amar2020
Copper

Im facing the same issue as well,it doesn't install ,it keeps failing.Serv Tag

0 Kudos
Ives_AU
Copper

Same problem here as well.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
_OCB
Bronze

@Alienware-Eimy wrote:

Hi @DarthKahn@_OCB,

Please send me a PM with the Service Tag, so I can escalate this. 

Thanks for offering to help but I managed to solve the problem. I haven't had any BSOD problems since. This solution posted by Cyber_Knight worked for me. Basically you just do a clean install of the UHD 630 driver as follows:

1.  Download the Intel UHD 630 graphics driver (23.20.16.5017) from Dell/Alienware and save it to your desktop.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=MYK8D

2. Uninstall your current Intel Graphics driver in Windows Settings (Win + X ) --> Settings and go to Apps and Features. Find the app Intel Graphics driver and uninstall.

3. Reboot

4. After rebooting, Windows may reinstall remnants of the old driver. Open Device Manager (Win + X) --> Device Manager and go to (Display Adapters) and expand the arrow to verify it is uninstalled. If not, right click on the Intel UHD Graphics 630 device and select (Uninstall device). In the new window be sure to check the (box) "Delete the driver software for this device" and then select (Uninstall).

5. Reboot

6. After rebooting, open the file downloaded from Dell on your desktop.

7. In the new window select (EXTRACT) and extract to a new folder on your desktop.

8. In Device Manager locate the device (Video Controller) which should indicate it needs drivers. Now right click on it and select (Update driver).

9. In the new window select (Browse my computer for driver software).

10. Browse to the new folder on the desktop you extracted the driver files to and then select (Next) to manually install the drivers.

11. Reboot.

12. After rebooting, go to the file (driver) downloaded from Dell and open it and run the (Install). This will finish installing all the related software for the Intel UHD 630 graphics driver. Additionally, the Intel Graphics driver app will now appear in apps for easy uninstall at a later date.

Felix18
Copper

Has anyone heard back from the Alienware moderator yet?

0 Kudos
Zangardo
Copper

I am also having this issue on my 17r5. Hopefully we hear something soon. 

0 Kudos
_OCB
Bronze

I can confirm the solution I posted above does work. But hopefully Dell releases an official fix for this so you don't have to go through all those steps.