Highlighted
Systmyz
2 Bronze

Is WD Blue 500GB SSD M.2 2280 compatible w/ AW 17 R3?

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Systmyz
2 Bronze

Re: Is WD Blue 500GB SSD M.2 2280 compatible w/ AW 17 R3?

Bump

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

It should be, but the Alienware 17 R3 also supports M.2 NVMe SSDs, which are MUCH faster than M.2 SATA SSDs like the WD Blue you're looking at.  SATA SSDs top out around 550 MB/s, whereas modern NVMe SSDs can do 3 GB/s if they're not bottlenecked by the system -- and 1.8 GB/s even if they are.  So you might want to look at NVMe options like the Samsung 970 Evo.

Systmyz
2 Bronze

My budget is tight thats why looking for cheaper SSD option like:

WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB PC SSD - SATA III 6 Gb/s M.2 2280 Solid State Drive - WDS500G2B0B or

ADATA XPG SX6000 PCIe 512GB 3D NAND PCIe Gen3x2 M.2 2280 NVMe 1.2 R/W up to 1000/800MB/s Solid State...

Any AW 17 R3 onwers here using the above SSDs, please share your experience.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos
eternalkp
3 Zinc

AW 17 R3 has two ssd slots. One is NVMe and the other SATA. If your pc came with SSD Windows OS, then the 2nd one is SATA. To tell you the truth, SATA and NVMe speed are the same. You won't be able to notice any difference. Save your money and go with SATA. I have EVO 850 500gb SATA and it works perfectly.

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

@eternalkp wrote:

AW 17 R3 has two ssd slots. One is NVMe and the other SATA. If your pc came with SSD Windows OS, then the 2nd one is SATA. To tell you the truth, SATA and NVMe speed are the same. You won't be able to notice any difference. Save your money and go with SATA. I have EVO 850 500gb SATA and it works perfectly.

Sorry, but this is completely inaccurate.  Both of the M.2 ports in the AW 17 R3 can support either a SATA or NVMe SSD, and you can run two of either type simultaneously.  And SATA and NVMe speeds are nowhere near the same, as benchmarks showing NVMe SSDs performing literally more than 5x faster than the best SATA SSDs demonstrate.  Have you even used a system with an NVMe SSD for a meaningful period of time?  It's nice that your Evo 850 works perfectly, and maybe for your own real world use case SATA and NVMe feel the same, but that does not mean that they are actually the same or that nobody else will notice a difference.  That type of post is just irresponsible.

0 Kudos
Systmyz
2 Bronze

So, I am going to make a final decision. I am planning to pick following SSD as it is NVMe as well as it has M Key factor.

ADATA XPG SX6000 PCIe 512GB 3D NAND PCIe Gen3x2 M.2 2280 NVMe 1.2 R/W up to 1000/800MB/s Solid State...

Has anyone got experienced with the above SSD. Is this compatible with my Alienware 17 R3? I just need confidence & approval. Thanks!!

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

@Systmyz wrote:

So, I am going to make a final decision. I am planning to pick following SSD as it is NVMe as well as it has M Key factor.

Has anyone got experienced with the above SSD. Is this compatible with my Alienware 17 R3? I just need confidence & approval. Thanks!!

Hopefully you get answers from someone who has used that specific SSD in an AW 17 R3, but if not, there's no reason to suspect that it would not be compatible. The AW 17 R3 definitely supports NVMe and accommodates M.2 SSDs of that 2280 size, so there's no reason to expect that it would not be compatible, just as you can install pretty much any 2.5" SATA drive into a system as long as it physically fits because SATA is standardized, so people don't wait to hear from someone who has used a specific drive with their specific system before purchasing it.  Of course I would recommend updating your BIOS beforehand just to be safe, and updating the firmware on the SSD if an update is available, just in case there might otherwise be glitches, but again that should not be the case.

0 Kudos