Trimonde
Copper

Just upgraded the RAM for Studio 1558

I recently added an 4G additional RAM card to my i5 Dell 1558, running on Windows 10.
Neither of the two 4G cards are "crucial" cards, they work though. The original one as a Hynex and the new one I just got today is a Avante or Activa or something or other. The computer "seems" to have improved barely. I'm not even sure if I'm must imagining it or not, though the 8G are being registered. My question is, Is there something I can do, like reinstall Windows... or have a Scan done, speed check, or something in the Settings I need to adjust, I can do to make sure there are no compatibility issues, and that the computer is functioning optimally?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Mary G
Diamond

Re: Just upgraded the RAM for Studio 1558

More ram is not an obvious improvement in speed or anything else. Extra ram is available for labor intensive tasks and works behind the scenes when you have many windows open, lots of apps running etc. You should not notice the difference. Ram chips work better if they exactly match. Installing in pairs is best but as long as yours are recognized, don't mess with anything--no reinstalling windows.That has no relation to how much ram you have. And any scans or speed checks are not relevant either. 

0 Kudos
Trimonde
Copper

Re: Just upgraded the RAM for Studio 1558

Oh I see. You explained that so well thanks. That makes sense because I do notice "some things" like the cleaning and defragmenting was done super fast. Faster than it ever had before. I still haven't tried one of my 40 windows opened at once crisis moments though. lol
So if I wanted to spend an additional 50 bucks at the store, giving them back this "trial" generic card I'm trying for now, and getting a brand new Crucial kit of two identical cards..... You're saying I may not notice anything at all, and it would not be worth it?

0 Kudos