bwritter
1 Nickel

Keyboard and mouse inputs get dropped for 1 second durations

Alienware 15 laptop, all of my IO devices will stop responding for about a second, all at the same time. While this is annoying, it also has the side effect of "unhooking" these devices from any keyboard/mouse software used for key rebindings, forcing me to restart such software in order to regain functionality. The worst part about it is when using my art tablet, it will drop its input as well about every two minutes or so, and the Wacom drivers absolutely can't recover from that without rebooting Windows.

I've tried every port on this device, on hubs, individually, and in isolation. It appears to be device agnostic.There are no Windows event logs that point to any kind of failure or hardware reset. Additionally, I've tried enabling the hidden "Ultimate Performance" power profile in windows, as well as individually preventing each USB node from being suspended in the Device Manager. Where else should I look to track this problem down? I'm running out of time before I'd have to send the laptop back as defective.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Re: Keyboard and mouse inputs get dropped for 1 second durat

Hi,

Reinstall the chipset driver and any other available USB drivers. Make sure the BIOS is up to date.

Let me know!

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
QVortex
1 Copper

If this is a 15R3, I'll disagree with recommendation to install the latest BIOS (1.0.5). It seems to have issues (freezes, crashes) with Windows 10 - 1809 (fresh install) and I had to downgrade to 1.0.3 which now works fine.

0 Kudos
bwritter
1 Nickel

I've tracked the problem down to using Bluetooth. Connecting a bluetooth headset or mouse causes the IO problems I described. The USB ports themselves actually lose power very briefly when this occurs. I've been using the laptop with zero issues for three days by not using Bluetooth. Connected the headset just now and BOOM, mouse and keyboard drop repeatedly.

I see there's an old bluetooth chipset driver I can try on dell.com. I had already installed the latest chipset drivers prior to using the machine. I'll get back to you with whether or not this is a regression in the new bluetooth drivers or a problem that always existed.

0 Kudos
bwritter
1 Nickel

I had a two hour chat with Dell today and they informed me this is a known but as-yet unpublished error with the USB bus. They did not specify whether it's a hardware or driver issue, but their solution is to send a contractor to our business to replace the motherboard. I don't have my hopes high for that actually fixing anything based on their description of the issue.

I'll make a final update to this following the board replacement before I consider this issue closed. Anyone with a new Alienware 15 R4, if you're experiencing this issue as well, Dell is seeking more information. They claim this only affects USB hubs attached to the system. My findings say otherwise, but you can potentially work around this problem by connecting to the USB ports resting directly on the motherboard.

0 Kudos
bwritter
1 Nickel

The motherboard replacement didn't fix it. Thanks for the help guys, but this unit's a lost cause. Sending it back.

0 Kudos