BGyver
Copper

Keyboard cursor moving on it's own - Tobii Eye Tracking

Not sure how I got to this point with Tobii Eye tracking not working correctly, but since I wasn't using it and having a serious issue with my cursor constantly backing up on it's own no matter where I was typing (browser, notepad etc.) I thought I would help the community in case this issue happens to anyone else. 

So basically I thought this had started after a recent update, but problem is this R3 17inch Alienware has seemed to have so many in the last month I couldn't tell you if it came from Dell or Microsoft or Alienware or ???.  Next thing I know my cursor, in my browser, as I am typing, starts backing up, as if someone had control of my laptop and was screwing with me. First thought was, "Virus?". Well, none detected... 

Start reading Dell support forum. Unplug external's.... check..., Air blow keyboard... check..., update bios... (while not overclocked) check..., < did that once twice because i was pretty sure that was the problem... nope. 

Download MalwareBytes just to be sure.... Clean.... 

**bleep**???? 

Back to Unplug external's.... Tobii Eye Tracking... Even though it's part of the laptop, it's still something that can be turned off.... Lets try exiting that program and see.... WHAM!!!! Cursor problem fixed... no more ghosts controlling my computer....  

So hope my little story helps anyone else who has ghosts controlling their computer cursor.

I'm sure now we will hear from others who can help with fixing Tobii Eye Tracking, or what I was doing wrong the whole time there, but at least for now, with Tobii turned off, my cursor is back in my control and I am able to type my story!!! 

/Cheers

Tags (2)
8 Replies

Re: Keyboard cursor moving on it's own - Tobii Eye Tracking

Literally dealing with the exact same thing right now. Turning off Tobi cleared it up. Thank you.

0 Kudos
mswehli
Copper

Same issue aswell! just started happening about a week ago (same time as your post), the input cursor would either keep moving left, or would keep typing 4 and made my laptop almost unusable.

I'm not sure if it's connected to the most recent windows update, but it's frustrating as **bleep** and severly slowing down my alienware laptop.

0 Kudos

the same problem happened after updating windows 10 looking for solution like around one month turned off tobii eye tracking problem solved thanks

0 Kudos
BGyver
Copper

Actually, I started getting the magic 4's as well. I should have said that to... Good catch.. Maybe this will help them zero in on what is happening with Tobii.

0 Kudos
VikeMike
Copper

I began experiencing this yesterday and I was up all hours of the night trying to figure out how to fix it. I finally called Alienware tech support (of course my warranty expired last month) but the guy was nice enough to mention it was a known issue with Tobii Eye Tracker. So with that little tidbit, I found this posting and was able to resolve the cursor movement and phantom 4's by turning it off. Thanks for sharing and hopefully they release an update fix soon!

0 Kudos

Same thing happening here.. I'm from Argentina, and personally had the same problem with my notebook: It's not an Alienware, nor even a Dell, but it seems to have the same problem. I've got a Tobii device attached to it: Tobbi 4C.

The problem has appeared not only in my notebook, but also in several of my users (I've installed a 4C based application to different persons)

The date is about the same: a few days ago. Previouslly everything has been working  alright!

The common thing in all the affected notebooks is a new and automatically installed update for Windows 10.

I've tryed different things, buy nothing seems to work, except to unplug the Tobbi 4C device: and this is not an option, because this is the main and almost exclusive use for their computers...

Please, if any of you discover the solution to this issue, share it!

Thank you!!!

Diego 

0 Kudos

HERE'S THE SOLUTION!!!

https://help.tobii.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006069574-Windows-Update-1803-April-update-causes-a-bug-...

All you have to do is to update the Tobii Driver. It's a fault of Windows interacting with old versions of the Tobii Driver.

Hope to be useful to you..

Bye!

0 Kudos

only by luck, I noted the red lights under my monitor blinking. aId when I wasn't sitting in front the laptop the issue would stop. I disabled the eye tracking and it seems to work

0 Kudos