Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

53 Posts

August 31st, 2019 22:00

Looking for Area-51M "display cable" LVDS / LCD cable

I am researching "desktop replacement" laptops, and I am looking into the Area-51M as a possible choice.

However before I will consider buying this laptop, I need to know if I can buy a new replacement LCD display cable. What is the Dell part number, and what does it cost?

I am an IT expert, I have used and serviced many laptops over the last two decades. I know that a primary cause of failure in laptops after about 3-5 years is that the LCD display cable wears out.

Every time the display is opened or closed, the tiny hair-sized wires in the 20-30 pin LCD cable are flexed, and after being flexed 500-1000 times the metal in these wires becomes "fatigued" and they eventually break.

This is what causes an LCD to suddenly become dim (no backlight), or it loses one of the primary colors (R/G/B), or flickers between working/not-working when the lid is moved. The wires are broken apart inside the cable, occasionally touching or separating.

I am not interested in paying Dell an extra $500-1000 for a 5 year service plan when I know the main thing that will fail in the future is going to be a $25 LCD display cable.

I need to buy the display cable as a spare now, because by the time it actually fails, the display cable part may no longer be available. And actually I'm looking to buy about three of them now to keep as spares.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 1st, 2019 05:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Javik 

To make sure you find the correct one search the "Service Tag" number.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/alienware-17-area51m-laptop/overview

There you should find the part numbers of what was installed with the laptop when it was manufactured.

Best regards,

U2

53 Posts

September 1st, 2019 23:00

I have not yet bought the laptop. There is no Service Tag that can be entered into the Dell website.

All laptops must have an LCD display cable / LDVS cable. It is not an optional component.

From my original post:

"before I will consider buying this laptop, I need to know if I can buy a new replacement LCD display cable. What is the Dell part number, and what does it cost?"

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

September 2nd, 2019 01:00

@Javik 

"However before I will consider buying this laptop"

I did not misunderstand your first post and know you had not purchased the laptop yet.

After repairing thousands of laptops over the last twenty years I should  know that a display cable " Is not an optional component."

As you must know Dell does not publish part numbers in any of their manuals.

Unlike HP where part numbers are published in their manuals.

For Dell you must look up a "Service Tag" to find part numbers.

Regards and good luck,

U2

No Events found!