Robotnikman
Copper

M15 won't boot after BIOS update

Got my M15 last week.

Just downloaded the new bios update for the M15, and when the BIOS update was running the fans starts revving up to Max speed about half way through the update and it just shuts down

Now it won't boot and the keyboard just flashes yellow once when I press the power button

Is there any way to reset or recover the BIOS? I tried holding the power button down with the battery and power unplugged but same result.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
JOcean
Ruthenium

Re: M15 won't boot after BIOS update

Have you tried removing the CMOS battery (coin cell). Leave it out of the system for at least 15-30 minutes. Then reinsert and try again.

Also have a look at this series of posts.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/alienware-m15x-not-booting-scroll-lock-caps-lock-and-num-loc...

-Forum Member since 2016
-I do not work for Dell
-A user helping other users
-If you like an answer please click on thumbs up
-If a reply is a solution to your problem please click on Accept as Solution
Gaming on a home built ASUS Z170K i5 6600
Real work on an Inspiron 15 5575
0 Kudos
Robotnikman
Copper

No I have not, I left it out for a minute but haven't tried for that long. I'll try that when I get off work today

Also, not sure if those steps would work since they are for the older M15x and not the new M15 which recently came out

0 Kudos

Hi @Robotnikman,

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can review your case. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
Robotnikman
Copper

@Alienware-Eimy Thank you, sent a PM
0 Kudos
Apam_Savior
Copper

Hi,

I just updated my BIOS for my M15 and I'm facing the exact same problem. Do you know what the solution was?

0 Kudos
SCT-M15
Copper

same device, same bios update problems.

0 Kudos
Apam_Savior
Copper

ad I got Dell support to help and they said my motherboard needed replacement. Everything was done within 24 hours. The engineer advised me next time when there's a BIOS update to:

1) Ensure windows 10 updates are all recent

2) Go straight to Dell's site and download the BIOS updater yourself and run it manually, instead of using the auto updater

0 Kudos