Highlighted
Flabberwoggy
1 Copper

M17x R4 Video Card problem 970M

So I have an nvidia geforce gtx 970m that worked as advertised on windows 7. i clean installed windows 10 pro, windows update found a driver for the 970m and installed it. I rebooted after all the updates were complete and installed and ran WoW: Legion. When I was getting 80-100 fps I'm now getting 10-20, so I know everything is running off of the Intel HD Graphics. Windows shows no errors, okay, and everything working properly for the 970M. When I use fn+f7 to switch to discreet mode I get 8 beep lcd code after reboot, reseating cmos battery puts it back on Intel HD Graphics. When I go into WoW advanced video options and select to use the NVidia card, I get an error stating the memory could not be read. When I use NVidia control panel to change an app from auto select to NVidia GPU, the app boots slowly and then runs with Intel HD Graphics. I can't select the rollback option in Windows because of the clean install and I can't use my Windows 7 media because it hangs on the install, I can't use media creation tool because I don't have product key that's in my media disc. What to do?

EDIT (More Info): I have Command Center and On-Screen Display installed. Most drivers from the dell M17x R4 Windows 7 page installed successfully on 10 then found updates in Windows Update, so they're all up to date. I've tried multiple NVIDIA Geforce drivers, for different operating systems, in and out of compatibility mode, with and without .inf files modded to my device id. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
ejn63
5 Rhenium

Re: M17x R4 Video Card problem 970M

You haven't mentioned running a full diagnostic on the system - in particular on the video card -- which is in order.  F12 at powerup.

0 Kudos
Flabberwoggy
1 Copper

Re: M17x R4 Video Card problem 970M

Thanks for replying, and my mistake, I have run the diagnostic from the BIOS and it states everything is OK as well

0 Kudos