Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Y

5 Posts

March 26th, 2020 06:00

M17x R4, how find used 3d enabled

Hi ALL,

I am considering buying a used M17x R4 which was originally sold by Dell as 3d enabled.

As far as I understand at this point, it must have:

(1) a 3d enabled motherboard? For asus laptops this option is fixed, the motherboard is either 3d or 2d. This is determined by the place where the display connector is soldered on the motherboard. Is it the same for M17x R4 (that the motherboard is either 2d or 3d)?

(2) a 3d enabled M17x R4 had/has:

* LCD 3D PANEL CABLE P/N:02JD3N

* 3D CIRCUIT BOARD LCD EMITTER + CABLE DC020017100 XX7CM WWKT6

* 120Hz display lcd pannel.

QUESTIONs:

If I am looking for a used M17x R4 3d on ebay, how can I find which options it was originally sold with? Say, I can ask the seller for its service tag. How can I then transform the service tag to the original specs?

Which version of Nvidia 3d glasses it was originally sold with I or II or both?

Thanks in Advance

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

March 26th, 2020 14:00

Take a look at the second picture at the link below. An the top of the board to the right you will see two connector ports for each display type. The 120Hz display connects to the port with the screw holes. 

https://www.parts-people.com/index.php?action=item&id=14505

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

March 26th, 2020 14:00

The Alienware machines usually have both display connectors soldered to the motherboard. This means that any M17x R3, R4 or 17 can be used with a 60Hz or 120Hz display. I'll see if I can find a picture for you. 

If they are willing to give you the Service Tag then put it into the Dell Support page and you can get the full list of the specs the machine was shipped with including all the Dell part numbers. It isn't usually good practice to give out your Service Tag as some people can use it against you. I would suggest removing the one you posted. 

I'm not sure about the Nvidia glasses question but it may tell you in the machine configuration if you get the Service Tag. 

5 Posts

March 26th, 2020 15:00

Thank for your replies, they help. (I removed the service tag from my post)

from your reply I concluded that on any model below

Alienware M18x R2 (i7-3920XM, GTX 1070, 16GB 1866MHz)
Alienware M18x R2/Alienware M17x R4/Alienware M17x R3/Alienware M15x/Alienware X51

the display can be replaced with the 120Hz, this will need a different cable I believe.

Q2 What about the internal 3d ir emitter. Do the motherboards and the cases of all of them support internal 3d ir emitter or just Alienware M17x R3/R4?

Q3 What about the possibility to have an MXM video card is it just Alienware M17x R4?

What I really want is all of the below:

internal 3d ir emitter + 120Hz display +  MXM socket on the motherboard + cpu socket (not a soldered cpu)

My idea was that the best option still is M17x R4. Is it correct?

Q4 M17x R4 does/did not have Thunderbolt . Is it true?

Please advise.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

I have a few 3D versions of the 17 R1 but I've never had an M17x with one. I would suggest heading to the helpful guys at NotebookReview for more information. There is still a pretty active group of enthusiasts over there.  

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

No I do not believe the M17x R4 has thunderbolt unfortunately. 

The machine does have a socket CPU and MXM GPU so both can be upgraded. The CPU is limited to Gen 3 processors so the 3940XM is the highest you can go. The GTX 1070 is the max GPU at this stage but it is possible that the RTX 5000 can work. Someone has been testing one in the M18x R2 with some success but the card is too expensive to be worth it. 

Yes you will need the 3D cable but you may be able to find a complete assembly online that you can just plug in. I believe the emitter is part of the LCD assembly (not part of the motherboard). 

Not all Alienwares support 3D. It was just the 17 inch models like the M17x R3 and R4 and different revisions of the 17. The M17x R4 is considered the best machine for upgrade possibilities. the 17 is also very good but most older enthusiasts prefer the M17x R4. In my experience they have a much stronger motherboard and the 3rd gen CPU's aren't far off the 4th Gen which are in the 17 R1. The M17x R3 is limited and can only be upgraded to the 780M/880M. They started soldering parts from the 17 R2. 

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

March 26th, 2020 16:00

Also, I believe you lose 3D capability with the 10 series cards so do some extra research first. I can't even confirm if the 980M will give you 3D.  

5 Posts

April 3rd, 2020 10:00

"I believe you lose 3D capability with the 10 series cards"

I was able to make RTX 2080Ti run with asus g75vw as an external gpu. The setup was with a cheapest external gpu adapter for mining. It was very stable even on 1.20 m cable, no issues at all. The power on sequence is first: external gpu, second laptop. The power off sequence is the reverse. It was important not to do anything until bios determines that there is an external gpu. Unfortunately once I forgot about all the important stuff, turned off the laptop when POST was executing and in this way I probably broke the info in the bios chip.I posted info on the asus community page, received not too many replies so far.

Another g75vw bricked unexpectedly

I will try and find out more about what happened with this motherboard and its bios this weekend. Data transfer on the external card is limited to epci 1x-v2 bit rate which is 0.5Gbit/s. It may be ok for some games and not so much for others, I had never tried, I do not play games, The external gpu card I used for calculations for work. For what I used it, 0.5Gbit/s was enough.

I need 3d as  I have a 3d camera (Panasonic DMC-3D1), I take pictures and movies, and want to continue. I also like my laptops to be as modifiable as possible.

I have never tried if I still have 3d with an external gpu, but I will try later. I bought another used g75vw for work to continue. I also bought another motherboard for the not working g75vw to repair it asap. I will also find out what happened to the motherboard I broke. I use it more like a Meccano-diy-hobby-set for experimenting with the setup =). I upgraded ram to 32Gig for work.

That's why I want to upgrade my laptops with M17x R4 for it to be even more modifiable. i7 3940XM-s are not too expensive now and are quite good even today. On the other hand I am ready to experiment and mod M17x R4 bios to accept something not supported initially.

Thank you for your replies. They are all helpful.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

April 5th, 2020 15:00

The 3920XM is almost exactly the same as the 3940XM and cheaper. 

No Events found!