avtella
Silver

Re: Never again will I buy Alienware/dell products

HP/Acer are the worst quality and support wise having seen not one person I know have these without issues within 2 years. Dell however I have usually had good experiences, they replaced my refurbished 7567 (1050Ti/1TBHDD) mid specced unit for a maxed out 4K 7577 (1060/512GB nvME/1TB HDD) when I complained and sent my 7567 in for uneven core temps twice. I have never seen Latitudes or Precisions fail even after 5-7 years and my father's corporation went back to Dell despite higher costs, after trying HP for a very short time who offered low cost but quality and support were terrible. Even Apple with the new MacBooks, the keyboards can accumulate dust etc and get stuck keys and cant be cleaned easily costing over $200 for some to replace and nothing is serviceable meaning post warranty if anything happens your gonna pay up a ton. I mean I'm sure some people will have issues with Dell but overall they are usually the best I have seen and they don't void warranty for self upgrades.

avtella wrote:

I have never seen Latitudes or Precisions fail even after 5-7 years and my father's corporation went back to Dell despite higher costs, after trying HP for a very short time who offered low cost but quality and support were terrible. 

Right. The Dell Latitudes and Precisions are business models so they are built heavier and end-up being more reliable. Sure, they are more expensive, but you really do "get what you pay for". HP has similar models (EliteBook Pro and Folio [UltraBook]).

Consumer (and Gaming) models are different. A lot of consumers want flashy, sleek, thin and "Form over Function". Most of all, they want it cheap ... but there are no "deals".

I suggest you keep extended warranties on all your portable computers and devices (at least for 3 years or until they are paid for). If not doing that, put that extra money into savings account to cover it's repairs (your gonna need it).

Finally, before buying a nice laptop ... be sure you don't really want a nice Desktop. It's more powerful, easily upgrade-able, cheaper, and games better than any laptop. It's harder to drop or get stolen. Or, maybe, you really just need a gaming console for your gaming addiction   .   Use something else when portable (iPad, SurfacePro, Android/Chrome-device, or even just a cheap laptop).

Registered Microsoft Partner and Apple Developer
- Gaming when I'm not programming.
- I answer questions here, but I'm not a Dell employee.
- Consider giving posts you like a "thumbs-up"
- Posting models-numbers and software versions speeds trouble-shooting.
- Click "Accept as Solution" button on any post that answers your question best.
HULKED
Copper

Hi i have a 2018 R4 17.3 Alienware laptop for sale with box & slip, its selling for 51k at Incredible Connection.Thanx Charlotte 0827533919 make an offer.

0 Kudos
Braddock7
Copper

I got the same problems this is the most terrible computer ever i never used it but all the time i try it and it worse horrible 1500 dollars waste on junk i will return it I hate dell and this computer
0 Kudos
ArcticWFox
Copper

Hey I have 17xR4 as well have you had any issues the the fan controller? On mine it won't kick the gpu fan on, so I have to use HWiNFO to get it to work. Dell told me it was a "software" issue and wants me to pay to have it fixed. Any ideas on what i can do to fix it with out having to pay a stupid amount of cash?

0 Kudos
Gebo9
Copper

Same issue here. I bought Alienware 17 R3 for close to $3k. Recently at just under 3 years, the motherboard crashed. It was never used for gaming, just graphics and video work. Always sitting on a desktop. Had it checked out to confirm it's a bad motherboard. According to online complaints all over the place and tech support, it's a known issue of overheating and a defective motherboard. IT  SHOULD HAVE BEEN RECALLED!!!! Dell, of course, refused to take any responsibility. Any lawyers out there? This issue needs a class action lawsuit!!!

0 Kudos