Not applicable

New monitor not working with 18R2 Laptops

Got new Samsung C24FG73FQU monitor and connected to Alienware 18R2 using supplied HDMI cable.

Does not work, tried on other 18R2 and same, but works on super old Inspiron laptop.

No conflicts in Device Manager, done reboots etc.  Laptop has the driver supplied, tried online one from Samsung and using generic windows one too.

Putting in cable machine makes the connect windows noise.

One person on youtube said the HDMI may not go into the port enough and to cut back the case of the cable, but am getting the windows connect/disconnect noise.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Re: New monitor not working with 18R2 Laptops

If you go to Windows Display Settings, is the external monitor shown as detected there and the PC simply isn't sending a signal to it, or does the display not show up there even though the new hardware sound played?  If you see it in Windows Display Settings, make sure it isn't set to "Disconnect this display".  You might have to just enable it.

0 Kudos
DSEyers
1 Nickel

Afraid it's not detecting the monitor.

Noticed if I reconnect the HDMI occasional the 2nd monitor lists, but then goes (does not show anything from PC though).

Ordered an mini-dp to dp so see how that goes.

As said before on both 18R2s get the same, but fine on old inspiron...

0 Kudos
jphughan
5 Rhenium

I remember a few reports of BIOS updates for an XPS 15 and at least one Alienware model (can’t remember which) that killed the HDMI output, and even rolling back to an older release didn’t bring it back. If the HDMI outputs don’t work with any other display either (do you have a TV to test?), I guess that may have happened on those systems. Unfortunately despite several threads on this issue, I didn’t see any of them with a response from Dell about how to fix it, i.e. whether a later firmware update resolved it or whether a hardware replacement was required.
0 Kudos