godofbar
Copper

No Switchable graphics option in Alienware 15 R4 non-GSync

Hi ,

I have bought an Alienware 15 R4 non-Gsync model which I received today but while configuring I noticed that I am unable to see the option for switchable graphics in the nvidia control panel which should be present in the Manage 3D settings section. I have updated both my Intel and nvidia drivers to the latest version but still see no change.

My dedicated graphics is continuously active and I suspect that I have been supplied with a non-GSync panel with the motherboard which is GSync capable.

So, I am stuck in the middle, with no GSync or optimus support in my laptop.

Please advise.

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
jphughan
Diamond

Re: No Switchable graphics option in Alienware 15 R4 non-GSy

What specific option are you expecting to find?  Modern laptops with discrete GPUs typically only work in one of these ways:

1. The system uses the dGPU exclusively and the Intel GPU is disabled at a hardware level.  Do you actually see an Intel GPU in Device Manager?  If so, then your laptop is not like this.

2. Both GPUs exist in the system and the Intel GPU is always on because it's wired to all of the display outputs, and then the NVIDIA GPU activates automatically as a render-only device when drivers detect that an application is running that would benefit from it, at which point the NVIDIA GPU passes completed video frames to the Intel GPU for output to displays.  There is no global "Switch to the NVIDIA GPU" option.  Some very early MacBook Pros with switchable graphics worked this way, but I don't believe Windows ever did.

3. Both GPUs exist in the system, but the NVIDIA GPU is physically wired to SOME of the display outputs.  In this case, the Intel GPU is again always on, and the NVIDIA GPU is also always on whenever a display is connected to an output that the NVIDIA GPU is wired to, regardless of what type of content is being displayed there.  Typically there's an area in NVIDIA Control Panel where you can see which GPUs are wired to which display outputs in the system.  But here again there isn't an option to switch from one GPU to another system-wide.  If you're playing a game on a display connected to the NVIDIA GPU, then the NVIDIA GPU is being used anyway.  And if you're playing on a display connected to the Intel GPU, then the NVIDIA GPU can still act as a render-only device as I described above to accelerate content on that display.

0 Kudos
godofbar
Copper

Thanks for the reply.

I ordered a system with non GSync display, so it is not option 1, I can see both devices in device manager.

What my system should be is what you mentioned in point #2 where the display is primarily connected to the iGPU and depending on application usage switches to dGPU for rendering. In this way the option on nvidia Control Center in Manage 3D settings will be visible where we can manually set which application to use the dGPU and iGPU respectively.Image result for nvidia control panel switchable graphics

But there is no such option in my case, and the display is not GSync too, which is point #1.

So I say, I am stuck in between, getting no benefit of extra battery backup for non GSync system, and neither is the system GSync enabled to benefit me in games.

Hopefully you understand.

0 Kudos
jpStrike25
Copper

did you found an answer?? please reply i have the same problem
0 Kudos