Highlighted
gandalf319
1 Copper

PLEASE PETITION for DELL to provide BIOS UPDATES for Spectre & Meltdown vulnerabilities

PLEASE PETITION for DELL to provide BIOS UPDATES for Spectre & Meltdown vulnerabilities 

Some of us cannot afford to purchase a new laptop every 5 years. 

I have a wonderful M11x R3 (Latest A05 BIOS),  I've maxed out the RAM (16GB) as well as upgraded internal drive to 1TB SSD.

This has the Intel iCore i5, which according to Intel's site, they have an UPDATED MICROCODE!

I would EVEN BE WILLING to PAY $25 to $50 bucks for the upgraded BIOS. 

THANKS FOR YOUR TIME & CONTINUED SUPPORT.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: PLEASE PETITION for DELL to provide BIOS UPDATES for Spectre & Meltdown vulnerabilities

What specific Core i5 model do you have? That designation spans several years and generations of CPU models, some of which have been patched. Additionally, Microsoft has been working with Intel and has provided updates to Windows 10 that allow it to patch CPU microcode on the fly even if the firmware hasn’t been updated — but only for certain CPU generations thus far, so without knowing which one you have, I can’t say if that would cover you. The other possible concern is that Intel itself may not have developed newer microcode for your CPU, and in that case there wouldn’t be anything Dell can do.
gandalf319
1 Copper

Re: PLEASE PETITION for DELL to provide BIOS UPDATES for Spectre & Meltdown vulnerabilities

I have the Intel i5 2467M 1.6GHz

Per Intel's Microcode Revision Guidance document (posted Apr 3, 2018), 

https://newsroom.intel.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/11/2018/04/microcode-update-guidance.pdf

They've provided MCU (Microcode Update) to OEM's.

The downside with only an OS patch (i.e. Windows 10), is the potential for not running at Optimal performance.

Spectre & Meltdown Vulnerability Status

System is Meltdown protected: YES
System is Spectre protected: NO!
Microcode Update Available: YES
######### Performance: SLOWER ##########

Sandy Bridge
Intel® Core™ i5-23xx/24xx/25xx-T/S/M/K Processor,
206A7 12 Production --- --- 0x2D

0 Kudos
Gorn12345
1 Copper

Microcode is nearly always erased at reboot anyhow. It's not a permanent update to the CPU in nearly all cases. A BIOS update would load Microcode on every boot much like a windows update would do.

The sad fact is that it is unlikely older systems will receive a BIOS upgrade (although it doesn't hurt to ask) due to the time/cost/risk involved. 

The hit to CPU performance varies with the tasks performed and what I've read the performance between OS microcode updates and BIOS microcode updates is minimal at best. It's the same basic code being uploaded to the CPU.

0 Kudos
beamermt79
4 Germanium

If the patch is in the BIOS code itself, its up to the BIOS makers (not Dell) to update the code, test it, and release it. Dell is limited on what they can do for machines that old.
0 Kudos
Skwish
1 Copper

Re: PLEASE PETITION for DELL to provide BIOS UPDATES for Spe

The Aurora R3 needs BIOS updates all around.  It was still a very new PC and they wouldn't even update it for Windows 8, nevermind Windows 10 or Meltdown/Spectre.  

Sadly, PC still works great (updated video card and put in an SSD), but that Aurora R3 is the last Dell/Alienware product we'll ever purchase thanks to shoddy, even unethical, support.  Even now, Dell tries to sell me an extended warranty (not that I'd buy it!) - and for what?  No new BIOS, no new drivers, and the last part I ever received was a used part that was utterly filthy with dirt from the old PC it had been yanked from.  They couldn't even use some canned air on it before sending it my way.

Shame on you, Dell!  You've lost several thousand dollars in PC sales just from my husband and I, but other PC makers no doubt want to thank you!

0 Kudos
beamermt79
4 Germanium

Re: PLEASE PETITION for DELL to provide BIOS UPDATES for Spe

The Aurora R3 was built around Windows Vista which tells you how old it is. In terms of Windows 8.X or 10, thats up to Microsoft and the Hardware Companies the provide Dell with the drivers. If the Companies don't put out the drivers for the newer versions of Windows, there isn't much Dell can do about it. That will be and generally is the case with any OEM (Dell, HP, Lenovo). Especially now that Windows 10 is out, with Microsoft changing things left and right, its hard for OEMs to keep up and some computers that were fully functional with RTM Windows 10, no longer work with the latest update.
0 Kudos