alexdelancey
1 Copper

Packet loss with Alienware 17 R4

I have called support 3 times and I have been hung up on by support 3 times.

I am experiencing packet loss that makes competitive gaming unplayable. I get disconnected from every other game of Overwatch I play, and I have a similar situation with LoL. I don't know that it's a problem with my network adapter, but I really think it is. I have the killer 1535 and am constantly experiencing this issue while my husband experiences no issues with the ASUS ROG Maximus 9IX motherboard adapter. My product should still be under warranty but I have no way to check. Every time I submit the service tag or the express service code on the website, it tells me the product cannot be found. 

Ethernet is not an option for me, but as I said, it shouldn't be an issue. My husband is in the same situation and has no connectivity problems at all.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
jphughan
5 Rhenium

Re: Packet loss with Alienware 17 R4

Go into Programs and Features and see if you find a listing for the Killer application or “enhancements” separate from the drivers. If so, try uninstalling that, since enhancements aren’t always as advertised. If you don’t see that, then at least try updating the drivers if you haven’t already. Also see if you have anything called SmartByte in there and definitely uninstall that if so. Lastly, updating your router firmware might be helpful as well and is often overlooked. Sometimes routers work better with certain client WiFi chipsets than others, so even if it’s currently working fine for someone else, that doesn’t mean a firmware update couldn’t improve things for you.

0 Kudos
Austin B1
1 Copper

I'm having the same issue on LOL, enters the game and then disconnects randomly, without any indication. Doubled checked drivers, changed to a new install of Killer Wireless software and did a DNS reboot. The Killer Control Centers new command center and install (which is different from the stock one) helped for a few days and then the issue returned, but you could try to install those changes directly from Killer's website and see if it helps you. I went from about 30% packet loss to between 0 - 1% depending on the signal (only Google has packet loss now on WTR), but I still have some disconnects (less frequently) which I also believe to be due to a Killer Card issue. Hope this helps somewhat with your issue. You could also, check to see under wireless settings if you are linked to a public nework, or go into your power settings: Power Options > Edit Plan Settings > Change Advanced Power Options > Wireless Adapter Settings > Power Saving Mode > change the setting to Performance.  Sometimes the batter saving option (even while plugged in) will disconnect Killer when it senses it's using a lot of power, I don't know why. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
BonesB
2 Iron

Just uninstall the Killer control centre and download only the driver for your card. Or go into the Killer control centre and disable it.

0 Kudos