jdb2
2 Bronze

Question regarding "New Alienware 17" IPS display FPS

Hello. Smiley Happy I've posted a similar question on AlienwareArena but it's received no replies. My problem is that I had an ASUS ROG G752VT-DH7 17-inch 75Hz IPS display gaming laptop with G-SYNC, but it locked up all the time so I finally got a warranty refund on it. I don't want to buy another ASUS lemon so I've been considering a Dell/Alienware laptop. The only problem I can see is that all the IPS display gaming laptops only have a 60Hz refresh rate. Well, I'm *extremely* sensitive to refresh rates, and, anything below about 72Hz causes me to feel sick, so, I was wondering if Dell supports Nvidia's "display overclocking." Can I safely "overclock" the display and not void my warranty or fry my display? What exactly are your experiences with Dell/Alienware laptops with IPS displays which can or have been "overclocked" to say, 75Hz?

Thanks,

jdb2

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Buzzcronym
2 Iron

Re: Question regarding "New Alienware 17" IPS disp

Overclocking IPS panels is specific to each panel, and I haven’t seen an IPS panel successfully overclocked beyond 60Hz without some kind of tearing or frame-skipping. The only way to find out is to try it, but have a backup monitor ready because a reboot might load to a black screen. Dell has overclocking policies on its gaming laptops and desktops, so you’ll be voiding the warranty if you  do this. You might be better off getting the 120Hz TN panel if it’s a health concern.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln297032/alienware-overclocking?lang=en

0 Kudos
jdb2
2 Bronze

Re: Question regarding "New Alienware 17" IPS disp

Thanks for the reply!

I bought an Alienware 17 R5 recently and when I tried to "overclock" the UHD IPS display, the screen freaked out at about 63Hz Smiley Sad . But, since the display has a longer response time and no noticeable flicker, I haven't experienced any motion sickness

Thanks,

jdb2

0 Kudos