Highlighted
jetbruceli
1 Nickel

R4 17, wont shut down, FX lights and USB 3.0 not working

Summary

r4 17 with i7 7700HQ and GTX 1070 16gb Ram

I purchased this from someone and notice that the warranty is outdated so I would like to see if I can fix it myself before sending it in.

My USB 3.0 ports (2 USB and 1 USB C) do not work, with windows 10 and during preboot. I know power is sent to the devices after disabling USB Emulation in BIOS. My USB C 3.1 Thunderbolt works and is the only way for me to use this device. 

Also, my system will not shut down unless forced and the Alien FX lights will not turn off unless the system is completely shut down. 

What I have done so far,

Reformatted and reinstalled Windows 10 build 1809, tried to update all drivers through Dell Support and in Device Manager USB xHCI controller has the error code 10

Tried to reflash BIOS 1.5 but the system doesn't shut down to complete, so I made a bootable flash and tried to flash via USB but it doesn't flash, it doesn't do anything.

Opened up the system, removed the battery cable, pressed the power and reconnected the cable = nothing changed

Tried diagnostics and the results come back all green (Passed).

I don't really need the USB to work as I can use the 3.1 port with a hub to handle that but, I do need this device to shut down properly and I am worried more functions will fail later. 

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. 

Also, this is an American version but for some reason, the support page says it has been submitted to the German site. I do live in Germany and can deal with either system. 

Thanks in advanced!

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: R4 17, wont shut down, FX lights and USB 3.0 not working

Hi @jetbruceli,

Unfortunately everything points to a motherboard problem.

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
jetbruceli
1 Nickel

If it’s the motherboard, does dell charge for a complete new one or will they swap out the parts? I saw motherboards online for 1000$ and that’s a bit too much to fix USB ports.
0 Kudos
jetbruceli
1 Nickel

So I called tech support and basically it's either the BIOS is corrupt but won't reflash or it's the motherboard. Said it was cost about 1600 euros. Which I don't understand because everything else works fine and no one will throw away the processor and GPU because of some USB ports not working. Hopefully a new BIOS comes out and can be flashed. 

This really isn't cool for a company that makes high end products. I have laptops that cheap and they never cause issues like this. 

0 Kudos