Highlighted
Rnzero
1 Nickel

SSD missing from my Alienware system

I recently got back my laptop from an Out of warranty laptop repair service from dell.
The primary issue was power limit throttling and overheating. The repair center changed the following components in my system.
1) Motherboard
2) Heatsink
3) Hard disk
I know for sure that System memory components don’t cause heat/thermal throttling.
And when I got my system back, I realized that my 1 TB SSD was missing from system. I raised an issue to the tech support, and after an investigation, they claim that the repair center has received the system without the SSD.

Now, that’s impossible as the SSD had my OS on it. So, I couldn’t have shipped my laptop to them without an SSD.
Instead of getting my laptop back with my data intact, I got it with a replaced HDD and a missing SSD.

Now, I don’t know what can be done to take it up further, as I don’t even get responses to my emails. My friend suggested to inform the BBB first. But I don’t want to go that route without being able to take it up to the dell Alienware department first.

Thanks and regards.
0 Kudos
5 Replies
jphughan
5 Tungsten

Re: SSD missing from my Alienware system

Technically Dell does allow users to send their system in without their OS drive installed for data privacy/security reasons and then Dell can temporarily install a drive and put a factory image on it if needed to conduct repairs/testing, so it's not impossible for them to have received a laptop without an OS drive.  However, if that's how they received it, that gets noted on the support case.  If they're actually claiming that's what the case notes say about how they received your system but you did not actually remove the SSD, I'm not sure what to tell you.  Sorry to hear about this.  Hopefully a Dell rep responds to this quickly and can assist.

0 Kudos
Rnzero
1 Nickel

My issue isn’t about my missing data. I knew that my data would be at risk when sending my laptop for service.

But, I don’t understand why they took my SSD and claimed that I have never sent the SSD in my laptop?

I’ve been for over 90 mins on call with a tech representative, and they claim that they can’t do anything except open up another investigation.

Now, I don’t know how to escalate this. I’m just posting this here so that if there’s someone with a similar experience, will help me out.
0 Kudos
Rnzero
1 Nickel

@jphughan My issue isn’t about my missing data. I knew that my data would be at risk when sending my laptop for service.

But, I don’t understand why they took my SSD and claimed that I have never sent the SSD in my laptop?

I’ve been for over 90 mins on call with a tech representative, and they claim that they can’t do anything except open up another investigation.

Now, I don’t know how to escalate this. I’m just posting this here so that if there’s someone with a similar experience, will help me out.’

0 Kudos
ejn63
4 Ruthenium

Was the SSD a factory shipped unit, or had you added the SSD after you owned the system?

0 Kudos
Rnzero
1 Nickel

@ejn63  It was a factory shipped SSD unit. They acknowledge that the system had the SSD when I bought it.
They just imply that I removed the SSD before sending my laptop for repair.

0 Kudos