Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 12th, 2018 11:00

Terrible experience with Alienware sales

A couple of weeks ago, I chatted in ready to buy the new Alienware m15. My experience with the sales team was terrible. The agent couldn't provide basic tech specs for internal components (I planned to upgrade RAM and SSD myself). The "best possible" quote the agent prepared was more expensive than what was shown on the website. The agent tried to get me to buy an extended warranty by telling me it would cost three times more if I didn't buy it with the machine.

Finally, when I complained to the agent's supervisor via email, I did not get a response. I'm quite sure my issue died in the call center, and was not escalated to anyone who cared about keeping my business. I did not buy the computer I had planned to purchase. How can Dell market Alienware as a premium gamer brand if they treat potential customers so badly on the front end?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

November 16th, 2018 08:00

@JDESPBC,

Regarding RAM, here is the information:

Memory specifications
Features Values

Slots

Two SODIMM slots

Type

DDR4

Speed

2666 MHz

Maximum memory

32 GB

Minimum memory

8 GB

Memory per slot

4 GB, 8 GB, and 16 GB

Configurations supported

• 8 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz (2 x 4 GB)
  • 16 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz (2x 8 GB)
  • 32 GB DDR4 at 2666 MHz (2 x 16 GB)

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

November 14th, 2018 08:00

Hi @JDESPBC,

Hey there! We're sorry about the experience you went through with the sales team.

If you wish, we could respond to all your doubts in regards to this PC here. Can't do much about the price itself here in the forum, but you can, at least, get to know what you needed to know about the PC.

Let me know.

3 Posts

November 14th, 2018 23:00

Hi Eimy,

Thanks for your reply. Part of my frustration was due to the fact that no one cared enough to acknowledge my experience and address the situation, so I appreciate your response.

If I buy this laptop, I may upgrade the RAM and SSD myself. I'd like to know the basic tech specs on the type of RAM used so I know what type of upgrade kit to buy. In regards the SSD - does Alienware use high performance drives (such as Samsung 970 EVO, WD Black, &c)? If not - and I know this is a long-shot request - is it possible to get this laptop without an SS, perhaps with the necessary files on a flash drive? If I upgrade the drive myself, I don't want to pay for an SSD I will not use. You see, I'd also like the larger battery, so this eliminates the cheaper HDD option.

Thanks for your help,

- J

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

November 15th, 2018 04:00

No, you cannot choose the drive you get - Dell uses drives from many manufacturers.  Nor can you order the system without the SSD (and you don't want to do that anyway, because it would void your system support).

If you want to order a gaming system down to the last detail - even to the brand of thermal paste you want, you can do that.  There are plenty of boutique builders that cater to this market - all of which sell Clevo-built systems.  Sager, AVA, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, Xotic PC, etc.  are all in this business.  Dell is not - Alienware is a mass market brand. You'll likely pay more for a custom build - but that's the market Dell does not cover, even with Alienware.

3 Posts

November 18th, 2018 12:00

Thanks for the reply, @ejn63. That is unfortunate, but not unexpected. I've looked at the boutique builders you mentioned, but I don't care for Clevo build quality.

Thanks for the RAM specs, @Alienware-Eimy

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

November 18th, 2018 16:00

You are aware that Clevo has built many Alienware systems for Dell, correct?

No Events found!