Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

JC

February 2nd, 2018 11:00

15 R3, Unable to change display brightness

I've run into an issue with screen brightness after installing the Windows 10 Fall Creators Update.   In no way shape or form can I adjust the brightness of the display.  I have the latest nVidia driver (for the 1070).  I have the latest Intel driver from the Dell support section for my machine (intel hd 530).

I've tried rolling back the driver(s).  I even reinstalled windows but the issue is still present.  My suspicions are with the old version of the intel display driver (from Dell) not working with the latest windows update.   When I try the driver from Intel, the message pops up that the latest version of the driver is not certified to work with my machine and forces a cancelation of the install.  Is there a workaround to install the latest driver from the intel site?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

February 2nd, 2018 12:00

Hi @jeff.c,

Try by reinstalling the OSD driver. 

3 Posts

February 3rd, 2018 10:00

Thank you for the suggestion @Alienware-Eimy.  Unfortunately it did not correct the issue :(

3 Posts

February 5th, 2018 09:00

Greetings again.  Does anyone have suggestions on this?

1 Message

April 1st, 2018 20:00

Having the same issue on 15r2, tried all the same steps before ending up here. Anyone resolve this?

11 Posts

April 8th, 2018 00:00

A "solution" is using DisplayDriverUninstaller (here) to remove the drivers, then reinstalling the Dell original drivers.  Once installed, note the registry value referenced in this post.

Some observations: The values mentioned need to be those that work for your model, hence the need for reinstallation.  It may instead be in 0001 and/or 0002 (my 17 R3 is showing the value in 0001, pre-correction).  It may need to be CurrentControlSet instead of ControlSet001 .  Please relay if this solves your issue.

December 30th, 2018 07:00

Go to device manager than click on display adapters to see which driver you have ( I had to uninstall my "Intel HD graphics 630") if you have a Intel and a NVIDIA graphics card, start with the Intel driver. look up your driver directly from the provider( if its Intel, install the "Intel driver and support assistant") than uninstall the driver but don't restart your computer ( your display will probably change display scaling and look a bit weird ). Go back to the webpage with your bios and driver installer and scan your computer for updates, than download the update/driver. After it downloads click install ( it may take a few minutes for anything to change ) than restart your computer when it ask you to. This is how I fixed my Alienware 15 r3

* update

I did a update the next day and the same problem came back but this time i had to restart after uninstalling the driver.

1 Message

March 13th, 2020 13:00

THIS WORKED FOR ME !!

I had this same issue with the screen brightness being stuck at 0% and the FN+ F9 / F10 combos didn't decrease or increase the brightness. 

I tried this out today though and it FINALLY worked!

1.  Device Manager

2. Monitors -> IF you have "PnP-Monitor (Standard) installed, hit UPDATE Driver and then "browse computer for driver software"

3.  Select -> "Let me pick from a list available"

4.  Select -> "GENERIC PNP Monitor" and hit next to install and brightness controls should work now without a restart.

No Events found!