Highlighted
Mykel01C
1 Nickel

Updating BIOS has killed my 15 R3's performance

I recently got an Alienware 15 R3  but have had some issues with overheating. So I searched around for what could be wrong with it and found something that led me to this page:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/aubsd1/sln305033/alienware-15-r3-17-r4-overheat-performan...

Since it was on an official Dell support page I figured I'd give it a shot because hey, what's the worst that could happen...

So I installed the new BIOS and noticed that the system got pretty slow, but I assumed it was just the laptop acclimating to the update and continued. I followed the above guide to step 13, where I had problems launching SupportAssist because of it infinitely trying to update while it's already up to date. Trying to resolve this I noticed that the laptop was still running abysmally slow, so I wanted to test how bad it actually was.

I decided to run Fallout 4 because I recently played it and had an idea of how it was running prior to the update. So pre-BIOS update it was running at a solid 60fps (capped) during gameplay, and around 430 -520fps (uncapped) during loading screens. After re-enabling G-SYNC (Step two of the guide required it turned off) the game now runs at around 15fps in-game and peaks at 60 during load screens.

So far I've tried rolling back the BIOS but the version that I'm on is "protected" so that isn't allowed, I've also tried recovering the system which also failed to resolve the problem. I'm not really sure of what else to try beyond calling Dell for support, which I would have done but they ask that you run diagnostics via SupportAssist first (which as I said earlier, doesn't launch properly).

TL;DR: Updating bios ganked my system, pls send halp

0 Kudos
1 Reply

Re: Updating BIOS has killed my 15 R3's performance

@Mykel01C wrote:

I recently got an Alienware 15 R3  but have had some issues with overheating. So I searched around for what could be wrong with it and found something that led me to this page:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/au/en/aubsd1/sln305033/alienware-15-r3-17-r4-overheat-performan...

Since it was on an official Dell support page I figured I'd give it a shot because hey, what's the worst that could happen...

So I installed the new BIOS and noticed that the system got pretty slow, but I assumed it was just the laptop acclimating to the update and continued. I followed the above guide to step 13, where I had problems launching SupportAssist because of it infinitely trying to update while it's already up to date. Trying to resolve this I noticed that the laptop was still running abysmally slow, so I wanted to test how bad it actually was.

I decided to run Fallout 4 because I recently played it and had an idea of how it was running prior to the update. So pre-BIOS update it was running at a solid 60fps (capped) during gameplay, and around 430 -520fps (uncapped) during loading screens. After re-enabling G-SYNC (Step two of the guide required it turned off) the game now runs at around 15fps in-game and peaks at 60 during load screens.

So far I've tried rolling back the BIOS but the version that I'm on is "protected" so that isn't allowed, I've also tried recovering the system which also failed to resolve the problem. I'm not really sure of what else to try beyond calling Dell for support, which I would have done but they ask that you run diagnostics via SupportAssist first (which as I said earlier, doesn't launch properly).

TL;DR: Updating bios ganked my system, pls send halp

Check nVidia power setting in Manage 3D Applications -> Power and set it to max performance.

See if that does anything. I generally play my 15 R3 with it set to Adaptive, and I have the latest Bios (1.5.0) without issues when I game.

0 Kudos