Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

2 Posts

April 12th, 2019 07:00

Urgent BIOS Update - Can't get it to work

Hi all,

I am trying to update some things on my Alienware Laptop. It says I need to update my BIOS (Urgent) and I can't seem to get it to work, and honestly, have no idea what to do. Can anyone explain it to me like I'm 5 or something, because this is quite confusing to me. Running Windows 7 Home Premium, laptop model is M18xR2.  Thank you. 

Here is the link to the photo to help

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

April 12th, 2019 11:00

All bios updates must come from Dell not Insyde--

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/product-support/product/alienware-m18x/drivers

There are no Urgent bios updates at all for your old model. You will brick your computer if you force the wrong bios.

April 12th, 2019 11:00

This is from the Dell website. When it detected my PC from product support page, it prompted me to download something called Support Assist. It also shows the BIOS update as urgent on the drivers and downloads page. I didn't download a random program to see if drivers needed updating, I went to Dell.com directly.  When clicking to download from Dell.com for the update to BIOS, it's still Insyde. 

I'll just leave it alone, but it's scary that Dell would tell me I need all these updates if I don't need them. I haven't updated anything since I have had this laptop (2012), and thought I'd check and see if anything needed updating. 

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

April 12th, 2019 12:00

Hi @enough15enough 

There's no need to update the BIOS if you're not currently having issues. Although it is noted as "Urgent", it is only urgent for those whom have specific issues listed on the BIOS notes. If you're not facing any, it would be better to avoid the update as it implies more risk than it does benefit you from doing it.

No Events found!