Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

21 Posts

June 26th, 2020 11:00

WMI errors from Dell Data Vault

Hello,

I have a new problem with WMI. The fans frequently start making noise without any relation to what I am doing. I have a G7 running Windows 10, and I am always logged as a non-admin user. Although it is using 2 to 10% of CPU, WMI is most of the time right at the top of the processor-eating process. I checked on my Asus laptop, the 3 WMI process are completely idle, at the bottom of the list, so this is indeed specific to my G7.

Back to the G7: In the Event Viewer, Microsoft / Windows / WMI-Activity / Operational, I can see that each 15 minutes, a few errors are raised. Again using Process Explorer, I can see that the vast majority of those errors are related to Dell Data Vault Collector Service. It seems that uninstalling it would not be a good idea, so I guess I'll have to find out what is wrong with it.

Does anyone have an idea of where to look and what to check in order to make Dell Data Vault happy ?

2 Posts

August 31st, 2022 01:00

Hi there,

I have a Dell G7 7700 from 2020 and have the exact same issue ? Although DDV isn't the only process causing WMI to use so much CPU. Have you found a solution for that ?

Thanks in advance!

21 Posts

August 31st, 2022 02:00

Hello,

I had forgotten about this issue, I just got used to the fans switching on and off. I switched to Windows 11 a few weeks ago. I just looked in the Event Viewer and the Dell Data Vault Collector Service seems to have disappeared. But maybe it had disappeared before I switched to Windows 11, with one of the Dell updates.

The fan switching on and off seems to still be there, though, although a little less frequently. But I also increased the RAM size, so this might have an influence too.

No Events found!