Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 27th, 2018 17:00

15 R2, most recent compatible/recommended Samsung SSDs (NVMe)?

Hello there,

like anyone who is sick of SATA and/or is running out of space and want to upgrade, I am thinking about buying a solid state drive (SSD), preferably NVMe (because, who doesn't love performance?), and most importantly, works flawlessly on the 15 R2 version of Alienware.

I've undoubtedly searched both Google and the forum and read a handful of threads about this. However, most of them were a bit outdated (like late 2017) so I am looking for some fresh info on this matter.

I am interested in knowing what is the *most recent tested/compatible/recommended* Samsung SSD (NVMe) that works with the 15 R2. I really wished Dell could take the time to make such information available for people who wish to upgrade their gear, instead of spending valuable time in forums over and over again.

Your feedback is most appreciated.

Thanks

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 30th, 2018 08:00

For Samsung SSDs named for OEMs, "PM" is equivalent to the Evo line, and "SM" is equivalent to the Pro line.  So a PM951 would be equivalent to a 950 Evo.  A PM961 would be a 960 Evo.  However, those models aren't officially sold in retail channels, so if you find them being sold on eBay or Amazon through third-party sellers, they are either used or were obtained through questionable means, which means either way you may have difficulty returning them in case of issues and should definitely not expect any warranty coverage from Samsung or anyone else.  If I were in your position, I would buy the SSD that fit my price/performance goals and try it out, since there is a strong likelihood it will work just fine.  If so, then I got what I wanted.  If not (very unlikely), then I can always return it.

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

March 27th, 2021 12:00

It works as long as you have an M.2 slot

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

April 27th, 2018 21:00

Late 2017 would still be current for NVMe information except that Samsung just announced the 970 series to replace the 960 series, although the 970 units aren’t quite available yet — and unless write performance is very important to you, it would arguably be better to take advantage of discounts on the 960 instead since the read speeds are very similar.

As convenient as it would indeed be, it’s not realistic to expect Dell to go back and test old systems against new hardware, although even if they did, the 960/970 series are sold only as retail units, so OEMs wouldn’t even get them to test. Samsung makes a different model for OEMs — the PM961 is the OEM equivalent of the 960 Evo, for example. So I suppose you can wait for someone else who has the same system to report results with an SSD you’re interested in, but honestly NVMe SSDs should be completely interchangeable, so I would just buy whatever you want and return it in the very unlikely event that it doesn’t work.

April 29th, 2018 16:00

Thanks for the quick reply.

So I could suppose, the PM951 is the latest "official" tested SSD (https://www.dell.com/community/Alienware-General/Install-additional-SSD-on-Alienware-15R2/td-p/5563579) or is there any newer recommendation, like the PM961 that you have mentioned?

Everyone is also welcome to jump aboard if they have something else to add to this topic.

Regards

May 12th, 2018 09:00

Hi there,

thanks for the follow up. For some reason I didn't receive a notification, or it ended up in **bleep**; which is why I wasn't aware of your post.

What you said makes sense, and thanks for the added info, that's definitely something new to me.

Best regards

August 27th, 2018 14:00

For anyone who is looking for the same info. I have successfully installed the Samsung 970 Evo NVMe M.2 on my Alienware 15 R2 out of the box and Win 10 recognized it immediately. I believe that I am using the latest BIOS version available, because I am an upgrade junkie.

A screenshot follows:

1 Message

November 5th, 2018 15:00

This is very helpful information. I have been looking to use a 970vevo on my 15R2 as well. Thank you! 

July 23rd, 2020 08:00

Do you know if a Samsung 970 Evo Plus  1TB is compatible with my 15 R2?

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 23rd, 2020 10:00

It is compatible, just do a bios update and your all set.

July 23rd, 2020 14:00

5 Practitioner

• 

3K Posts

July 23rd, 2020 15:00

Your welcome  .

1 Message

March 27th, 2021 01:00

Hi folk ! 

I would like to add as a second drive :

Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500 GB M.2, PCIe Gen 3.0 x4 NVMe 1.3, V-NAND 3-bit MLC, Phoenix Controller, 256-bit Encryption, 512 MB DDR4 SDRAM, Read 3500 MB/s Write 3200 MB/s

Is it possible for my Vostro 5501  

ThanQ in advance

2 Posts

August 18th, 2022 08:00

I also want to upgrade my Alienware 15R2 , does samsung 970 evo plus 500GB really works ??  

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

August 18th, 2022 18:00

Hi @NiekN Samsung NVMe SSD fast or ultrafast cards have a very good reputation and include many additional features. PCIe Gen4 cards are now becoming more available than PCIe Gen3 cards. Fortunately PCIe Gen4 NVMe cards are backwards compatible to use slower PCIe Gen3 NVMe slots. 

My Alienware 17 R5 now has 2TB Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus and its large storage capacity allowed all the features of Windows 10 Pro x64 version 21H2 to be available on the laptop. The Samsung NVMe SSD OS(C:) boot drive has the modern GPT partition format so that BIOS Boot list option UEFI option is enabled, for fast boot, more reliable, more security features, etc. 

2 Posts

August 18th, 2022 22:00

Hi @crimsom 

Thanks for you reply,  but an alienware 17r5 is of the year 2018.   My version is of 2016, i do not know if my old laptop will also be compettable. 
Standard from Dell a toshiba SSD m.2 sata600 128gB was installed , but it is to small for win10 now . So i have to exchange it with a larger one. I want to replace it with a Samsung 970EVO plus PCI-e.

This PCI-e  is 7times faster then the sata600, every speed upgrade will be very welcome. But i really do not know if it is (fully) compatible , if it will work and boost up the speed of the laptop 

No Events found!