Marcob19
Bronze

Re: Win 10 not see second drive (driver problem?)

Jump to solution

I know occasional problems are the most difficult to solve and if it is a rare issue (hw or sw) is really possibile that, in 15 years of work, you never deal with it. I have spent enought time on hardware and software like you and I'm having difficulty to solve this problem too.

Now, i'm going to re-explain the problem and to list all test and deductions I have done so you can see what you need and maybe together we can find a solution.

-) Laptop Configuration:

The laptop contain two different drive. The first one is a SSD where is install the operating system and applications and the second one is a HDD that is only a data container. (I bought this alienware 15 r3 only one month ago)

-) Problem: 

When I boot the laptop after all night or after short while, randomly, windows 10 doesn't detect the HDD (because i can't find it neither in disk management neither in device management and so neither in explorer tools too). When the problem show I solve rebooting the laptop a few times until hdd appear (because win 10 doesn't recognize the hdd at fist reboot usually).

-) Tests

• I have tried to use two different HDD (both sent from Dell) and the problem persist so I think is not a hardware hdd issue
  • When win 10 doesn't detect the hdd if I go on bios (or use a linux live usb) I can see the hdd and use it (even windows continue to not recognize it after rebooting). So I can think is only a win 10 issue caused by I don't know.
  • When the problem show up i tried, with laptop shut down, to remove and reinsert phisically the hdd and rebooting but nothing. So i can think is not a sata connector issue.
  • I reinstalled windows doing a factory reset using "Dell Factory Image Restore", and I use it without installing any program until the problem show up again. So I can think is not an applications fault and windows bad installation too.
  • I reinstalled all the drivers from products website and I tried with three different driver of intel RST (last one, december 2017, alienware autoupdate), but this doesn't solve the problem. So i can think is not a driver problem.
  • I used the laptop without any usb and other connections but the problem show up again. So i think is not a port that conflict with the hdd.
  • I tested the hdd with "Hddscan" doing before a read and after a write test for all hdd sectors and the test was ok.

If I forgot some tests I have done i'll update this post.

After this the only thing that I can think is a motherboard issue. Because if there is an alimentation problem on the motherboard that doesn't provide the right voltage to the hdd every time the laptop boot, I expect this problem.

I can prove that installing a linux distro on the HDD and booting every time from it. So, if the problem show up I'll be unable to boot from linux, and we can deduce is an alimentation issue.

I'm going to do this test and I'll update you. If you think something else please tell me.

0 Kudos
Marcob19
Bronze

Jump to solution

I installed ubuntu 18 on the hard disk and every times I tried to boot from it (instead windows installed on ssd).

The problem show up again because I can't boot  from ubuntu (see the image). Now I'm pretty sure is an hardware issue caused by sata connector or motherboard alimentation.

Translate:

error: fail to write on sector 0x718d1018 on "hdo"
error: fail to read on sector 0x718d1018 on "hdo"
error: it's necessary to load the kernel before
push button to continue...
38631115_250171079041474_210047630468710400_n.jpg

0 Kudos
Marcob19
Bronze

Jump to solution

Solved.

The problem was a motherboard issue for a manufactoring fault.

I solved calling Dell technical support and they proceeded to replace the motherboard and now it is working perfectly.

0 Kudos