Highlighted
Por2gal
1 Copper

Window update from 8 to 8.1 to 10 unavailable

due to several misjudged restarts, i have lost or deleted my conf files for my M14R2. i cannot update or install any updated operating systems for this reason; I AM LOST. can anyone help me? i contacted the original owner who said he put it in a separated partition but it was lost due to my inexperience. I cannot update any of my hardware or software due to low battery. i am running this laptop directly from the power adapter. I hate not having my alienware working properly
Labels (1)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
BasherWalls
1 Nickel

Re: Window update from 8 to 8.1 to 10 unavailable

Do you have windows 8 installed? If not then just download the recovery usb direct from Dell. You just need the service tag number and a usb stick 16gb. If you have windows 8, to upgrade to Windows 10 search for windows 10 download tool on google and download it from Microsoft. Now run the tool to upgrade from windows 8 to 10. As long as you have had windows 10 on that system before, the license is digitally signed by Microsoft at their servers. No real biggy as it’s an easy fix.
0 Kudos
Por2gal
1 Copper

I have attempted all those recommendations and it still says I cannot continue to upgrade to windows 10. my laptop came with window 8. i have even tried to upgrade from the 'store' but to no avail. i am hungry for windows 10 but lost 'config' files means i cannot continue. im not sure where i can get them to help my laptop upgrade
0 Kudos
BasherWalls
1 Nickel

https://www.techadvisor.co.uk/download/operating-systems-distros/windows-10-media-creation-tool-1001... Follow this link, near the bottom of the article is the link to the creation tool, you must go to the link via your pc, if you go to the link via a tablet or phone it doesn’t work. Now the link takes you to the Microsoft website to download the creation tool for windows 10. Download it and run it - about 2 hours later you will be on windows 10
0 Kudos
BasherWalls
1 Nickel

No config files are missing as the creation tool sets everything up to upgrade from windows 8 to 10. Once on windows 10, Microsoft digitally signs the OS and you are good. This is only if that pc/laptop has had windows 10 on before or you will need to pay for a key.
0 Kudos
Por2gal
1 Copper

i was hoping to upgrade from webiste rather than download a complete setup. as i will have to buy a windows 10 key, whereas i already have a key for windows 8.

it states on the weblink you provided :-

"You can use the package to install Windows 10 on the current PC, if it's running Windows 7 or 8.1"

as stated before, i have to upgrade to windows 8.1 from windows 8 in order to use the creation tool from microsoft. however because of the missing files, i cannot upgrade to windows 8.1

0 Kudos
BasherWalls
1 Nickel

So to be clear, has this computer ever had Windows 10 installed? If the answer is yes then you can install Windows 10 straight from Windows 8. Without the need for Windows 8.1 - just load the creation tool from Microsoft and run it. The key is created at Microsoft’s side and is kept there so you don’t need a key anymore. If the answer is no - then you will need a key, so you will need a code for Windows 10 - the website may say a ‘free upgrade to Windows 10’ but that was a couple of years back and it was only a limited free offer from Microsoft. As for these config files, I don’t know what you could be missing but the easiest way to restore your computer is using the factory reset download from dell, which I have already mentioned. https://www.dell.com/support/contents/uk/en/ukbsdt1/article/product-support/self-support-knowledgeba... Download this tool and create a usb to factory reset your computer, then upgrade upto Windows 8.1 if you want that, or Windows 10 via the Microsoft Windows 10 creation tool. That’s the only way you can sort your issues as these config files are impossible to know what’s missing.
0 Kudos
Por2gal
1 Copper

never had windows 10. tried to reset and reinstall but for some reason my laptop will not complete the reset due to these missing files. I will try to find the exact error details
0 Kudos
BasherWalls
1 Nickel

If you have never had Windows 10 then the free window to install has passed and you do not have a key.

only solution is to buy a copy of Windows 10 to obtain the key.

0 Kudos