Highlighted
Penguin52
1 Nickel

Windows Hello Broken with October Update

Have a new Alienware 17 R5- was working great has Tobii Eye tracking. After updating Windows Hello no longer works. 

Called Alienware tech support morning and they uninstalled and reinstalled Tobii Eye tracking, nothing seemed to work. i'm now using a PIN.

Is anyone else having this issue? Is it a known issue?

0 Kudos
13 Replies
215slothrop
1 Nickel

Re: Windows Hello Broken with October Update

Same here, 17 R4 in my case. Had this problem at the end on July (pretty sure it was after a Windows update), Tech support instructed me to uninstall and reinstall Realtek and Tobii, run bios (before reinstalling) which fixed it then, and again a few weeks ago (no idea why it failed, might have been another Windows update, but the old fix worked), but not today. Have opened a new support ticket. Imagine a fix will be forthcoming. Perhaps new Realtek drivers? Computer runs fine otherwise (not crazy about new dark theme inside windows though,...), logging in with PIN fine for now.
0 Kudos
bgrass
1 Copper

Same here. I have a 17R4. The Tobii eye tracking works. But it seems Windows hello just can not detect the camera. Guess we can just wait for Dell to fix it for now.

0 Kudos
Khillo
1 Copper

Same here. Alienware 17 R4 with Tobii Eye Tracking, which works fine by the way; it's only Windows Hello that stopped working. The camera won't come on, so I'm using the PIN to log in which **bleep** as I got used to logging in with my face. I did not try any fixes as I remember this happened with a previous Windows update and I had to wait for a driver update to fix it. Here's hoping it's not long in the coming. By the way, I installed a driver update to Intel Rapid Storage and coincidentally (or not) my computer freezes randomly. Is anyone else experiencing this?
0 Kudos
215slothrop
1 Nickel

FWIW I installed the Intel Rapid Storage Technology and Management Console -AO1- 45 MB as per recommendation of SupportAssist on 9/28/18. No problems/freezes after. 

jujitsu1
1 Nickel

I spoke to tech support a Tobii today. They said they are aware of the issue caused by the WIndows 10 October 2018 update and that their companies number one priority right now is to fix this issue.

Penguin52
1 Nickel

Thanks for the update-I've also sent this message string to Twitter after they had me try some troubleshooting that did not work to let them know there are more folks having the issue.

0 Kudos
215slothrop
1 Nickel

Tobii now has a page up: "Windows Hello issues with Windows 10 October Update (1809)" that confirms this! Was ready for Settings -> Update&Security -> Recovery -> Go back to the previous version of Windows 10, but instead will wait for Tobii fix (whew!). Do like Tobii's humorous graphics (perplexed bears for the last year's Fall Creators Update issue, angry stick figure for this one Smiley Wink !!!
0 Kudos
Penguin52
1 Nickel

Thanks for posting the update. 

0 Kudos
Penguin52
1 Nickel

Trying to deal with Microsoft on this issue has been comical. First they want you to disable fast startup. Then theyask if all drivers are updated. Um, yes they are Smiley Happy

0 Kudos