lamtran14
1 Copper

alienware 17 r3 cant connect with aorus gaming box

i know that 17 r3 has thunderbolt 3 and i just bought an Aorus gaming box. i try to connect it with my laptop thru thunderbolt cable and get a message said that 

USB or Thunderbolt device functionality might be limited.

i try to update bios and firmware, thunderbolt controller etc but it s didn’t work.

someone know how to fix it please help 

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: alienware 17 r3 cant connect with aorus gaming box

@lamtran14 wrote:

i know that 17 r3 has thunderbolt 3 and i just bought an Aorus gaming box. i try to connect it with my laptop thru thunderbolt cable and get a message said that 

USB or Thunderbolt device functionality might be limited.

i try to update bios and firmware, thunderbolt controller etc but it s didn’t work.

someone know how to fix it please help 

While the Alienware does support thunderbolt, I dont think they have it set to support external gpu's unless it's using the AMP hook up.

Can try this https://egpu.io/forums/builds/alienware-15-r3-gtx1070-gtx107032gbps-tb3-aorus-gaming-box-win10-theit...

0 Kudos

Hi @lamtran14,

Contact the Aorus manufacturer, we only recommend the AGA for our devices.

Also, remember that the Thunderbolt 3 only works with the Intel card.  

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

0 Kudos
FSUTOM
1 Copper

I have the same exact issue, is there no support for this? Trying to extend the life of my laptop and this would be a perfect solution but can't get past this same error. I've updated the bios, installed thunderbolt software etc.  

Is the only solution to force us to use proprietary AW external gpu enclosures??

Aorus says to contact the pc manufacturer.. 

0 Kudos