buha
Copper

keyboard : some keys are not working from time to time

Hi,

I have a 17r4  (late dec 2017) and i have some issues with some keys on my keyboard. 

From new , some keys did not work (z and 8), and after windows forced its latest updates a couple weeks ago (don't know if this is relevant) , i noticed "/" stopped working.

Then windows key stopped working( ex: windows +d, +e ...), but this is fine now.

Did my research on google to have an idea and tried some tricks and tips but no luck. After this i have contacted dell support, they advised to make tests and i did the following :

-I have tested the keyboard under custom component test from support assistant and z 8 / are not responding;

-did the short test from support assistant, all ok;

-completed full test (stress test) and everything was fine;

-restarted in safe mode and the 3 keys are not working;

-updated bios, and did the diagnostics test , all ok;

-uninstall and updated keyboard driver in device manager, and the 3 keys are not working;

-tested an external USB keyboard and all keys work , and the on screen keyboard works;

-there was no liquid spillage or something else. 

After all tests , dell support advice that the problem is from the keyboard itself and send a technician to change it , keyboard was changed with a new one, technician did some testing, i tested and all the keys worked just fine that day. Next day all good until i noticed some delays when pressing some keys , then the laptop stopped responding to any command . After i turned it on again,the 3 keys stopped working.

After contacting dell support , i was advised to do all the tests again , and noticed that "page dn" and "alien key 8" stopped working **bleep** well. Now i have 5 keys that are not working on a 2 days old keyboard.

I would like to know if someone else has this problem , any advice would be appreciated, and what do you think will happen now with the laptop itself, what can be done, replacement or some other components to be changed .
Thank you, 
Andrei 

7 Replies

Re: keyboard : some keys are not working from time to time

Hi @buha,

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can assist you further. 

Alienware Arena

Alienware-Eimy
Dell | Alienware Technical Support
#IWork4Dell
Opening your case does not void your warranty! Check out Alienware Artificial Intelligence
I can't always reply to PM's, if you need extra assistance visit: YouTube Logo Facebook Logo Twitter Logo

suprem
Copper

Hi,

I also have this problem with my 13r1 I have done all the test which buha did but to no success.

My r and g keys have stopped working after i upgraded to a ssd, at first it was just slow to respond then it failed to work at all.

even now I am copying and pasting g and r to write this.

Any help would be appreciated.

Henry.

0 Kudos
sifefoster
Copper

How did you solve this issue? i have the exact same poblem...

0 Kudos
MondoNachos
Copper

i also get that too  my keys 4 and p doesnt work at the start... Help plz

0 Kudos
car2ner
Copper

I've had 2 gaming keyboards that had keys suddenly stop working.  It is not a software issue since swapping keyboards does not repeat the problem.  I called Alienware about a keyboard, only 2 weeks in use and still under manufacturer warranty.  Since I did not buy it direct from Dell / Alienware, they told me that they had no way to deal with repair or replacement.  Very disappointing.   I'm used to good service from Alienware.  I went to the company I bought the keyboard from and they replaced it.  Lets hope the 3rd keyboard works properly.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
Nam Guy
Copper

Yes, I had similar problems on my laptop keyboard, the 5, 6, X & V stopped working. My virtual keyboard & external keyboard worked just fine, but a bit inconvenient. A few tops to keys came off, ESC and '7' keys. When I tried to screen capture my 'windows' key was very sensitive and hindered my 'screen capture' operations.

0 Kudos
eva4eva
Copper

Same problem here!  Sometimes if I hit the key a few times it works. Sometimes it works no problem. It's my space bar, that does that. e worked using copy paste for this message. Oh and c doesn't work either. Maybe intermittently because when I hit the key a bunch of times it does work. Its seems to work somedays and other days those are the problem keys. Dell really needs to fix this because it's clearly a software not hardware issue. Wait just got the e to work temporarily as well. It's completely intermittent. Grrr! 

PSS. I do not know when it started because I don't use my keyboard often. But now when I need to I can't. I'd guess this happened in the last few months for me

0 Kudos