Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 24th, 2020 14:00

17 R5, loose cpu fan

I have an Alienware 17 R5 purchased on May 14, 2018 . My 17 R5 CPU fan is quite loose and making some new noise at lower rpms. I have 5 years of premium support service and I desperately want to fix this issue as it becoming even worse of late. This 17 R5 cannot be used in the workplace because of the loud noise the fan makes. I hope that I can find a solution in this forum. Can I know whether this can be claimed in my warranty? The warranty expires on May 13, 2023.

5 Practitioner

• 

1.5K Posts

May 24th, 2020 17:00

It can definitely be covered under your warranty unless you damaged it yourself somehow. It's possible that the bearings have collapsed inside.

10 Elder

• 

23.1K Posts

May 25th, 2020 06:00

That will depend on a few things.  An "international" warranty doesn't exist - the Dell warranty by default applies ONLY in the country of purchase. You CAN transfer the warranty to another country under the following conditions:

The system model must be sold in the market you're transferring to,

The system must be covered by a premium on-site warranty,

You must transfer the warranty with Dell to the country where you're residing.

If the system model you have isn't sold in your market, it will need to be serviced and supported through Dell in the country of purchase.

To transfer a service tag internationally, see

https://www.dell.com/support/assets-transfer/us/en/04/#/Identify

3 Posts

May 24th, 2020 23:00

thank you and can u tell how to book a service for this wen i am in a diff region from my purchase i have the international warranty as well

wen i take it the nearest dell store they tell me book it online only and i cannot a option wer i could book a service

May 25th, 2020 10:00

I had exactly the same problem!

I just disassembled the laptop and lubricated the fan with machine oil. As a result, it worked a bit with the noise, and then when the lubricant dissipated, it started working as before, perfectly.

No Events found!