Start a Conversation

Unsolved

P

6 Posts

November 21st, 2019 09:00

m15, High temperature

Hi guys

I recently have bought an Alienware m15 (Nvidia 2070 Max-Q, 16Gb RAM, i7 8750H). Although the computer is amazing, I was not really expecting the CPU temperatures hitting 100 degrees (celsius) while playing age of empires II (I know, still enjoying the classics... but this is the LEAST demanding game I have)... I have seen over the web many cases of m15 (and other alienware laptops) having heating issues. Given that the computer is brand new (<2 months), would this be a case to send it back? or are these temperatures expected on this model ?  

November 21st, 2019 13:00

100C isn't a normal temp. Definitely start with support since you recently purchased the laptop. Are there any environmental factors contributing to this? For example, can the laptop get airflow while it's running?  Take a look at the vents or check out a diagram of your model on the product page for it and you can see where air goes in and flows out. Those vents need to be clear of anything (an irony that a really powerful laptop these days is something you can't really set on your lap).

2 Posts

November 28th, 2019 12:00

I have the M17 and had issues with overheating. I use a laptop cooler and then undervolted my cpu. No overheating issues at all.

Google Throttlestop to learn more. Am not connected to them but it does work!

6 Posts

March 21st, 2020 03:00

Thanks for the reply @DonWh . I will try to undervolt and see how it works from there... I just find it slightly curious that running the same game (same quality) in two different computers, I end up having one boiling water and the other not breaking the 80 degree (celcius) mark. I find it difficult to believe that I (as a user) have to actively downgrade my CPU in order to make the laptop, that I purchased, less likely to break down...

6 Posts

March 21st, 2020 03:00

thanks for you reply @MXOWinterMute . I have the laptop with the base elevated (not with a cooling base though) but allows for 4-5cm of clear space near the inflow path. The outflow is always clear of any obstacles. I might have to rely on thinking about the thermal paste and (possibly, if not damaging my warranty) to repaste

No Events found!