Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2019 08:00

m15, M.2 heat shield order

I bought a new Alienware m15. When I purchased the unit, I only got a 256GB M.2 drive and added my own 1TB M.2 drive after I received the unit. Everything works great, no issues there. I was reading through the manual (https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/alienware-m15-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf) to make sure I didn't miss any steps while I was doing the hard drive install and noticed that there is a heat shield that goes over the M.2 slots. Per the manual, this heat shield only comes with units that come installed with the Intel Optane M.2 or a 512GB M.2 or larger but it says that you can contact Dell Support to get the heat shield if your unit did not come with that.

And there is my problem. Every person I've spoken to at Dell Support has no idea what I'm talking about. My ticket has been escalated, I've been told to contact sales. Every person I've spoken with so far cannot help me or does not know how to help me. Can anyone here help me or recommend a next step of action?

For reference, the heat shield I'm referring to is on page 46 of the manual I linked above. Here is snippet from that page: link. And here is a picture of the heat shield: link.

Thank you.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 20th, 2019 12:00

or 0910J is for 1 Slot Heatsink/Spreader R46DX is for 2 Slot Heatsink/Spreader

These are the part numbers we found.

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

March 17th, 2019 17:00

8 Posts

March 18th, 2019 08:00

Thanks for the help JOcean. I've tried calling Alienware support at 1 (800) 254-3692 but that's where I'm getting the run around. The support people tell me to call sales and the sales people don't know what I'm talking about. I guess I could just keep trying and hopefully get someone that knows how to help me, but I'd like to avoid doing that as it's a huge pain. I was hoping to get a bit more direction here (i.e. call this number, send an email here, etc).

8 Posts

March 18th, 2019 09:00

Hi, I replied to your post but it got deleted it looks like for some reason. I've contacted Alienware Support and was given the run around. Do you know if there is anyone specifically I can contact or an address I can send an email to?

The part number you provided does not appear to be correct. That is for a different Alienware model and the part physically looks different too in the Alienware manual.

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 18th, 2019 09:00

Hi @Cakedonut,

Send me a private message with the Service Tag so I can review your case. 

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

March 18th, 2019 13:00

Cakedonut,
Hopefully when Alienware-Eimy gets your service tag number via private message, she can shed some light on this.

I just checked your Forum account. I see no record of any of your post being deleted or removed.

The Alienware m15/m17 parts pages do not mention a heatsink or thermal shield for SSD. They only show =
R46DX SSD thermal pad
28J9W SSD bracket

JOcean,
Part number JV98R (heatsink for SSD) is for the following PC =
Alienware 15 R3/R4, 17 R4/R5
Inspiron 7577/G5 15-5587/G7 15-7588

8 Posts

March 18th, 2019 17:00

Hi Chris, thanks for checking that. Can you please look at the manual I linked for the Alienware m15 again (https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/alienware-m15-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf). This is probably why I'm having a hard time getting this ordered. You said that there are not parts for a heat shield (called a "thermal shield"), but in the manual on page 46 it says one exists and to contact Dell Support to order it.

8 Posts

March 20th, 2019 07:00

I still have gotten no where with this. I've been extremely patient with trying to get this heat shield ordered, even before I came onto the forums, but I'm beginning to get frustrated. I'm still within my 30-day return window and am starting to reconsider my purchase. If this experience is any indication of what I can expect from Dell Support in the future, I'm not sure it's something I want to deal with.

8 Posts

March 20th, 2019 12:00

Thank you @Alienware-Eimy. I will contact sales and try to order it.

March 20th, 2019 21:00

@Cakedonut wrote:

I bought a new Alienware m15. When I purchased the unit, I only got a 256GB M.2 drive and added my own 1TB M.2 drive after I received the unit. Everything works great, no issues there. I was reading through the manual (https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/alienware-m15-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf) to make sure I didn't miss any steps while I was doing the hard drive install and noticed that there is a heat shield that goes over the M.2 slots. Per the manual, this heat shield only comes with units that come installed with the Intel Optane M.2 or a 512GB M.2 or larger but it says that you can contact Dell Support to get the heat shield if your unit did not come with that.

And there is my problem. Every person I've spoken to at Dell Support has no idea what I'm talking about. My ticket has been escalated, I've been told to contact sales. Every person I've spoken with so far cannot help me or does not know how to help me. Can anyone here help me or recommend a next step of action?

For reference, the heat shield I'm referring to is on page 46 of the manual I linked above. Here is snippet from that page: link. And here is a picture of the heat shield: link.

Thank you.

my 15 R3 didn't come with this, Dell Support tech sent me it through warranty replacement part. You can try emailing Marcos. Dell_AW_NAE1@dell.com My 15 R3 came with a 128GB SSD. He's been able to rectify any issues I've had thus far with my Alienware 15 R3 from a faulty AC Cable, to that part missing.

March 23rd, 2019 21:00

Let us know what happens.  I called Dell after I placed  my order and they connected me to Tech Support.  They ensured me that my laptop would have the shield installed even if I didn't have the 2280 M.2 SSD installed.  My laptop arrived, no shield installed.

24 Posts

March 24th, 2019 11:00

I've had an email back from the company in the UK that's apparently responsible for Dell Parts and Spares, and they've said they're unable to order the heat shield.

There's got to be a gap in process somewhere, and customers are getting stuck in the middle of all this. 

Is there any way the mods can provide clarification on how these parts can be obtained?

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

March 25th, 2019 15:00

@DougalAW

We (as techsupport) can help as far as getting the part numbers (which I did), but in regards to where to find the part, if Sales doesn't have the information it will mean that they don't sell it as an spare part. 

1 Message

April 12th, 2019 16:00

SO how do we get the part if it's OOS? Your tech support says they have them but can't ship them out if the laptop was not ordered with a 1TB SSD.

Been on the phone with sales, tech, out of warranty dept for the last three day only to find out it's OOS in the sales dept.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

April 15th, 2019 16:00

Hi, 

Unfortunately, if the Sales team already confirmed that they cannot sell them, we recommend that you try to search for the part on third party online stores. 

No Events found!