Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2019 08:00

m15, M.2 heat shield order

I bought a new Alienware m15. When I purchased the unit, I only got a 256GB M.2 drive and added my own 1TB M.2 drive after I received the unit. Everything works great, no issues there. I was reading through the manual (https://topics-cdn.dell.com/pdf/alienware-m15-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf) to make sure I didn't miss any steps while I was doing the hard drive install and noticed that there is a heat shield that goes over the M.2 slots. Per the manual, this heat shield only comes with units that come installed with the Intel Optane M.2 or a 512GB M.2 or larger but it says that you can contact Dell Support to get the heat shield if your unit did not come with that.

And there is my problem. Every person I've spoken to at Dell Support has no idea what I'm talking about. My ticket has been escalated, I've been told to contact sales. Every person I've spoken with so far cannot help me or does not know how to help me. Can anyone here help me or recommend a next step of action?

For reference, the heat shield I'm referring to is on page 46 of the manual I linked above. Here is snippet from that page: link. And here is a picture of the heat shield: link.

Thank you.

2 Posts

October 22nd, 2019 21:00

I have asked Dell SMB sales for the part but they have said the SKU doesn’t appear in the system. Is there another code or information I can provide to order the heat sink?

2 Posts

October 23rd, 2019 20:00

I don’t understand how this is solved when Dell parts and sales support still can’t find the component on the system. I have been told I need to provide my service tag (which I won’t have until the laptop arrives) when the service tag will provide absolutely no new information to the sales person.

I would happily purchase outside Dell but the only reseller I have found doesn’t ship to Australia.

2 Posts

November 8th, 2019 16:00

I need the 2 slot version, how do we order it?

4 Posts

December 14th, 2019 07:00

@Alienware - Rodrigo wrote:

Hi, 

Unfortunately, if the Sales team already confirmed that they cannot sell them, we recommend that you try to search for the part on third party online stores. 

No, that's ridiculous.  You need to escalate this to someone who can do something about it.  Who's your manager?

December 18th, 2019 20:00

Just chat with spare parts team to order it in Dell USA

1 slot is Part# 0910J $9.99

Small Thermal pad for SSD 

2 slot is Part# R46DX  $9.99

Thermal Pad for SSD, (Big)

Both parts are for Alienware m15 and m17

4 Posts

December 25th, 2019 22:00

I pulled a lot of strings at DeLL. Usually I am successful. In this instance unless your computer was sold will M.2 SSDs or you buy directly from DeLL the M.2 SSD upgrade, you can't buy the heat shield from DeLL. I have found an EBay source for this kit... not cheap. 23 US dollars. The part looks correct for the thermal pad and shield for the two M.2 SSD slots.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-for-DELL-Alienware-M15-M17-M-2-2230-NVME-SATA-SSD-Bracket-M2-Shield-Caddy-US/372881549303?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

February 19th, 2020 06:00

Not really sure what the problem is here but I just called 18002893355 and asked for home spare parts.  Gave them part number 0R46DX head shield and requested extra screws.

16$ later and its on its way.

September 28th, 2020 13:00

I too am looking for the bracket/heat shield to install a 2230 SSD in slot 3 of my M15 R3. It is shown in the “alienware-m15-r3-laptop_service-manual_en-us.pdf” on page 25 picture 1 and page 26 picture 2. It is refered to as ‘M.2 2230 thermal shield’ used on the left I/O board (M.2 card slot 3). I know that WJH5D is the bracket for installing a 2230 in the slot 1 & 2 2280 positions. GK8NK is the heat shield for a 2230 used with WJH5D and that RT4G1 is a 2280 heat shield for slot 1 & 2. But all the Dell support options keep pulling a blank on the bracket/heatshield for slot 3! Does anyone have one installed from new i.e. have a 2x 2TB and 1x 512Gb SSDs option from new? Is there a part number label on the bracket? I can't believe I have spent $4000 on a computer and can't get a $4 bracket so I can use one of its SSD slots!!!!!

3 Posts

January 8th, 2021 04:00

Almost a year of gap between last answer but I did the same and got a response implying that: 

Part with that number does not exist. 
And also I'm outside of the US so shipping won't be possible. 

I was looking for the part itself and found this on their website:
https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/accessories/apd/575-BCBQ
But information on this is not existent.
No compatible systems listed,
No photo,
Nothing.

13 Posts

January 10th, 2021 13:00

I've seen the 2230 heat spreader provided for Optane cache modules.  The laptop I'm seeing looking at the service manual for an Inspiron 3593 came with a combination of the Optane cache and a slow-as-dirt 5400rpm hard drive.  The heat spreader is full length in appearance from the top but when removed, you see it has turned up tabs to hold the 2230 length module in place as well as a screw ... which would seem to make it worthless for replacing the Optane cache with an an SSD.  I'm presuming this arrangement is to prevent users from upgrading the unit themselves using the provided heat spreader. You might be able to mod it but I haven't torn into one of these to look at it closely.   
Particularly for small enclosures like laptops,  I would in general caution users from not applying heat spreading solutions if you do upgrade.

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

January 10th, 2021 19:00

Alienware m15, etc. full Thermal Shield for two M.2 Solid-State Drives, Dell P/N 0R46DX. [eBay] [amazon]

M.2 2280 SSD Thermal Shield R46DX.jpg

3 Posts

January 13th, 2021 04:00

Thanks for the reply!
I was thinking to buy from ebay / amazon / aliexpress but the price is quite a bit higher then what someone mentioned here.
Although It seems like it's the only option since it appears that Dell can't manage to have good description for their parts in their store.

No Events found!