Start a Conversation

Unsolved

I

14 Posts

July 25th, 2019 02:00

m15 R1, crashing all the time

I have recently bought an m15 (144 Hz, 16GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB, 1TB+128GB). I mainly play Rainbow Six Siege on this laptop on high settings (not very high, or ultra). Randomly, while playing the game the laptop will freeze and become unresponsive. I've left it alone like that for over an hour but nothing happens, the screen freezes and no response from the keyboard or anything. The only option that I know of is force turning it off and back on again.

A few days back, it started checking for media presence while booting up with the LAN cable. Somehow, the secure boot got turned off.

July 25th, 2019 02:00

Side note: the checking media issue was resolved by turning the secure boot "on" in the boot options. Another small issue is that for some reason, AW OC Controls isn't installing on this laptop. It was installed before and worked fine, but then a new update said to uninstall any previous version of OC Controls, reboot and install again. Firstly, Windows can't verify the publisher of this driver software (which was downloaded through the Alienware Command Centre itself), then I clicked on "Install this driver software anyway" and encountered "Error 0x80070643 - Fatal error during installation." This is the log file from the installation: https://drive.google.com/open?id=197w8W4p6gF-N99vN2oKviTxHJhHRdnqx

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 25th, 2019 16:00

Hi @Insidious_Black

Try running an ePSA/Diagnostic test on the system, click here to view a Dell article that explains how to run this test. Let us know if you receive any errors. 

Also, make sure the BIOS and video drivers are up to date.

Regarding OC Controls:

You can only use the OC settings if you have an overclock-able K series processor, please check which type of processor is in your system configuration.

July 25th, 2019 17:00

I have an i7-8750H processor which isn't overclockable, but it was my understanding that AWCC needed OC Control to even monitor temperatures and thermal profiles.

I only want to be able to monitor my temperatures and set the thermal profile.

July 25th, 2019 21:00

On running the diagnostic test, no errors were found.

I have BIOS version 2.1.1 for this laptop, which I believe is the latest version. The same goes for all the video drivers.

7 Technologist

• 

4.4K Posts

July 26th, 2019 20:00

Please try the following steps to download all of the available add-ons for your system:

-Download AWCC full from https://dell.to/2GtNp4c.

-After running the app post-installation, a green button should appear on the top-right corner asking to Get Updates.

-Once clicked, an MS Store pop-up will ask for MSA information before proceeding to install all add-ons.

-If this fails, download these add-ons from the MS Store (In the store application, look for My Library, these should appear under Alienware Command Center): FXSystems, FX02, OC Controls, Sound Center and Control center.

July 26th, 2019 23:00

@Alienware - Rodrigo I did all those steps, and when I clicked the "Get updates" tab and entered my MSA information, it showed that I already had the apps necessary. On the MS Store, it shows the sizes to be 6.25MB for OC Controls and 129.58MB for FX Systems. However, under the AWCC app in Settings the sizes shown are vastly different.Please see the sizes shown under AWCCPlease see the sizes shown under AWCC

And even now, I'm unable to monitor my temperatures or set thermal profiles. This (the photo below) is the prompt shown to download OC Controls (a version from June 17 2019, while there is a newer version on July 9). It shows that there was a fatal error - 0x80070643 occured during installation.

Log file: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1FjR7m00Q_4gEeEvwfiBjl92cBthNObC2

This is what it shows, as a prompt to download OC ControlsThis is what it shows, as a prompt to download OC Controls

3 Apprentice

• 

4.4K Posts

July 29th, 2019 11:00

The OC Controls error message should be fixed in a new AWCC version that will be released in August. Please hold.

October 10th, 2019 07:00

Hello Insidious_Black,

I have the exact same issue with my m15 (144 Hz, 32GB RAM, RTX 2060 6GB, 1TB+128GB). My PC  will freeze randomly and specially when gaming and become completely unresponsive. The only option that i would have will be to do a hard restart by pressing  on the power button to force a shutdown. Could you please tell me how did you resolve the issue. It's becoming very hard and frustrating for me.

5 Posts

November 10th, 2019 09:00

Hi,

I have the exact same issues (m15 i7-8750H, RTX2060); crashing constantly during game play across a number of games.  PC crashes (unresponsive or bluescreen) almost always then boots up and fails to find hard drive (BIOS has reverted to windows boot manager as 3rd choice, change back and boots as normal).  

Somehow related to AWCC - after crashing AWCC has to be restarted - 'please wait ~30 secs for configuration' - and then restarts programme after re-authorising it to make changes to the system.  Although, having uninstalled AWCC crashing still re-occurs. 

I have been through Dell Support, resulted in a clean install of W10 and re-install of AWCC as per the instructions provided by the Dell  Technician.

Has anyone managed to get this issue resolved?  I'm at a loss, my only thought left is an issue with the hard drive itself.

5 Posts

February 9th, 2020 02:00

Hi all,

Solved!  Having been through Dell support and tried all the procedures that they provided; including a clean install with the original SSD, nothing had worked.  As I was quite certain it was SSD related I bought a new WD_Black 1TB NVMe SSD before Christmas.

I performed a clean install onto it as my primary system disk; leaving the original SSD in the second slot for extra space.  Since then I have not had a single system crash having played many hours of games (I have waited to post a while to ensure the issue was solved).

Hope my experience may help others.

March 29th, 2020 00:00

Hey

Thanks a lot for your experience, I do not have a spare SSD unfortunately and I am pretty sure that I am facing the same issue as you. Whenever the laptop became unresponsive, did you notice extremely high temperatures by any chance?

And any idea if the SSD would be covered under the warranty?

Is it advisable to perform a clean install on my 1TB HDD for the time being?
Because under the current lockdown conditions, it is unlikely that they will be able to ship a new SSD and send a technician to make the change.

@Alienware-Eimy 

5 Posts

March 29th, 2020 03:00

Hi,

I'm not sure.  My gut feeling was that the supplied SSD could not cope with the high temperatures but I have no proof other than a new, more capable SDD has solved the issue (I still have not had one crash since).  That said, having recorded a number of live game play and benchmark tests sensor readings, the Dell technician confirmed that the system itself was working correctly and that the crash was not directly due to heat (temp reached 100 deg C but processors throttled correctly to limit any further increase).  I would hope that they would offer a replacement maybe worth an ask.  I sent an email back to them saying that I solved the issue but never heard anything back from them.

Installing onto another HDD may work - I couldn't myself as I'd opted for the larger battery which fills the HDD space.

If you do a clean install, from my experience, I had to perform many resets and force windows to download/install updates between 'new' system crashes (within a few mins of logging on) until all 'critical' windows updates had been completed.  Also, the Alienware Command Center required many resets - there are a number of threads with regards to it on here. You may not have the same issues, but if you do, just persist, it sorts itself out eventually.

Hope this is of some help.

11 Posts

June 23rd, 2020 04:00

Also i have a 1TB HDD and a 128GB SSD. i install all my games like rainbow 6 on my HDD. idk if that makes a difference so i’m not exactly sure what i should get and which i should replace. if you know and could maybe tell me or send links etc that would be awesome.

11 Posts

June 23rd, 2020 04:00

Hey i have the exact same issue and i think what u did may work for me. i was wondering if you could send a link to the new SSD u got because i’m not sure which one i’m supposed to get.

5 Posts

June 27th, 2020 03:00

Hi there,

I purchased a Western Digital Black SN750 1TB NVme SSD.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07M64QXMN/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm not sure with regards to the HDD as I do not have one in my build.  All I can say is that I installed the above as my primary drive with a fresh install of W10 onto it - using a recovery USB.  I put the original SSD into the second slot and left as a secondary drive - perhaps you could do that with you HDD.

As with my previous replies here, I can still report that my system is stable and does not crash as it did before, so I would still suggest that the supplied SSD was the issue.

Good luck!

No Events found!