Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 7th, 2020 06:00

m15 R1, keyboard backlight turn off automatically after inactivity

I just purchased a new Alienware m15, and the keyboard backlight never turns itself off.  At night, after the screensaver has kicked in, and then the screen has turned itself off, I would also like the keyboard light to turn itself off.

The research I've done tells me that there is supposed to be an "Alien Head" in my task-bar, and I'm supposed to be able to right-click on it and select the time-out period.  But the "Alien Head" doesn't exist on my task bar.

My research on *that* issue tells me that all I need to do to make the "Alien Head" appear is to run the Alienware Command Center.  But I do that, and the "Alien Head" still doesn't appear in my taskbar.

Inside the Alienware Command Center, I can change the color and the brightness of the light on the keyboard (and the Alien Head power-button and the Alien Head light on the back of the display), but there is nothing I can find that sets the time-out on the keyboard backlight anywhere...

All I want is to be able to get this keyboard backlight to turn itself off automatically after a certain amount of time of inactivity, and then turn itself back on when I start typing again.  There must be a way to set that, no?

Thanks.

6 Posts

February 13th, 2020 16:00

I just found a key that will toggle the lights...  Hold down the 'fn' key and press F12 and the lights will turn off.  Do it again and they come back on.  It's not automatic, but it lets me turn the lights on and off at will, which is the next best thing.

6 Posts

February 8th, 2020 13:00

Anyone?  Anyone?  Bueller?  Bueller?

I followed these instructions to completely remove and re-install the Alienware Command Center: https://dell.to/2S9Q1u8

There is STILL no Alien Head to right-click on in the task bar, even after going through all that.

I just want the keyboard light to turn itself off after 10 minutes of inactivity! How hard can that be?

February 10th, 2020 02:00

no option for this fanciness lol  
sleep mode will turn it off though GL 

No Events found!