Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 4th, 2022 16:00

m15 R1, turn on Device Encryption in Windows 11 Home

I would like to use Windows 11 Device Encryption with my Alienware m15 R1 laptop. However it is not showing up as an option in Settings. I have UEFI mode on and TPM enabled.

I went through the process of enabled TPM support in the BIOS before I upgraded to Windows 11.

Also in System Information under Device Encryption Support I have this message:

Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: PCR7 binding is not supported, Un-allowed DMA capable bus/device(s) detected

Also, further research indicates that I may need "Modern Standby" mode available. Something about S0 vs S3. Is it possible to turn this on with an m15? If not, would BitLocker work (if I upgrade to Windows 11 Pro)?

Is there another way to get Device Encryption (which is included with Windows 11 Home) turned on without enabling "Modern Standby"?

22 Posts

February 13th, 2022 09:00

I ended up doing two things to finally get Device Encryption enabled. 
First, in the BIOS I turned on Secure Boot. Unfortunately that did not solve the problem (but I think it is necessary).

Second, I followed this article on Super User very closely. In fact I used this person’s PowerShell script: https://superuser.com/a/1589473

First though I had to follow the Microsoft article on giving myself Owner of that key in the Registry. Then I was able to import the addition Allowed DMA Devices into the registry.

This was like the journey to Mordor but I finally got it working, now the data on my drives is protected!

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

February 4th, 2022 16:00

There is substantial information on this page that should help.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

February 4th, 2022 18:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @lam3001 

Look at Alex26m30's and Zolock's replies.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/pcr7-configuration-binding-not-possible/ba7aeb33-b1cb-459e-a3e8-c0ad0a17975f

Best regards,

U2

No Events found!