Start a Conversation

Unsolved

ES

1 Message

November 29th, 2020 08:00

m15 R3, Crucial SSD 2280 500GB (3D NAND, NVMe, PCIe, M.2)

Hello Everyone,

I recently bought an Alienware M15 R3. I wanted to add an additional SSD for my Ubuntu Installation. I bought a Crucial SSD for the same(https://www.crucial.com/ssd/p2/CT500P2SSD8). The SSD is detected by the BIOS but is not detected in the Disk Management tool available in Windows. Does anyone know why that it detects in the BIOS and not inside Windows? I'm quite new to the computer hardwares as such but if you can tell me the reason and the way to get past it, it would be of great help.

Thanks

Eashwar 

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

November 29th, 2020 11:00

Is it formatted? A blank drive will not be recognized.

How to Format a Solid State Drive | Crucial.com

6 Professor

• 

6.1K Posts

November 29th, 2020 16:00

Hi @Eashwara Sudharsan Erahan  if understanding this problem, your M15 R3 has dual boot to use either the Ubuntu or the Windows operating system. The new Crucial P2 500GB PCIe NVMe M.2 2280 SSD is recognised in BIOS/UEFI but not recognised in Windows Disk Management, so formatting NVMe not possible. You have not told BIOS to use the new NVMe drive, or visited Windows Device Manager to determine if it has a driver, or refreshed to get a driver for this new device. We do not use Ubuntu or have a dual boot system, so can only comment from a Windows 10 x64 perspective.

The Alienware Support for m15 R3 documentation, Storage says use NVMe drives and you might have used the Crucial P2 SSD webpage to check that this NVMe is suitable to be installed in the M15 R3 (and hopefully not DOA, and not damaged by Electrostatic discharge during installation). 

The Alienware Support for m15 R3 drivers and downloads recommends BIOS version 1.6.0, but many users stick with BIOS version 1.5.0 so that throttling is not disabled. Check that BIOS has been enabled to use the new NVMe drive.

Visit Windows Device Manager to check that the driver has been installed to use the new NVMe drive and device status is working properly.

Please share a screenshot of your Disk Management window. (An internet search did not find your Ubuntu / Windows dual boot, new drive not found problem.)

We have not installed the Ubuntu operating system, so do not know how it interacts with the Windows operating system. You may wish to visit Windows 10: New SSD not detected in Disk Management and check if Ubuntu has activated and is using the Windows Storage Pool. 

Please remember to share an update on this forum. Thank you. 

No Events found!