Start a Conversation

Unsolved

D

20 Posts

April 1st, 2022 16:00

m15 R3, Razer Core X eGPU

These two do work together, although it may take a bit of work depending on how many monitors you have attached to the card in the Razer Core X eGPU.

Long story follows.

I was finally able to get a replacement for my aging Nvidia 1060, it's an RTX 3070 Ti. There are a few threads to be found regarding getting 30x0 cards to work in the Graphic Amplifier, but the main issue for me was an unwillingness to do the necessary engineering to get a triple wide card to fit. This means cutting off most of the right hand side of the case. And I'd have had to replace the PSU, since I really doubt the PSU in the AGA has the guts to drive a 3070 Ti.

The Polaris device is still vaporware and I'm not at all interested in it anyway due to some engineering choices I disagree with.  Most notably the mandatory water cooling, and having to find space for not one, but two power bricks, complete with the associated risk of destroying the ID chips on the center pin. So that got ruled out in favor of something that is doubtless cheaper, much simpler, and overall a better design because it has a built in power supply: a Razer Core X - $400.00 on Amazon.

Setting this up was a bit of a bumpy ride: I started by putting the card in, hooking up the power, and then connected it to my monitors. Turn it on, and a reassuring light shows on the top of the card. So far so good.

Connect it to my Alienware m15 R3 with the provided T-bolt cable, boot up, and a few seconds later the dreaded blue screen appears. At this point, it's worth noting the setup I have, the 3070 Ti in the Razer Core drives three Dell 27" 1440p monitors. Cutting a long story short, I was able to get it working, and this is the part worth noting for anyone else that tries this. I had to attach the monitors to the 3070 Ti one at a time.

I unplugged two monitors and booted it up again. This time it came up OK, but with the desktop duplicated on both the laptop's 1080p and the one 1440p monitor that was attached. A quick trip to display settings, and I had the desktop extended rather than duplicated, with the 1440p at its native resolution. Lather, rinse and repeat two more times, adding a single monitor each time, and converting from duplicate to extend, and voila, Windows in all its four screen glory.

So if you're looking to replace your AGA with something that will comfortably fit a triple wide card, the Razer Core X eGPU (and presumably the Chroma) is an option.

Disclaimer: I do not work for Razer. I do not work for Dell. I just buy computer equipment from these companies, among others.

• 

25K Posts

April 2nd, 2022 10:00

We tried reaching you on a private message asking for the Service Tag number to ascertain the warranty but did not receive a response. Please feel free to reply to the private message whenever you are available.

No Events found!